HOW OFTEN AND HOW LONG SHOULD I EXERCISE?
BIKING, & HIKING
Staying fit and relaxed is not only good for your health, it is good for you. If you want to enjoy life more, the following tips can help:
THE BENEFITS OF EXERCISE
No amount of exercise canguarantee a long life. However, even moderate amounts of exercise can improve the likehood of a healthy life. Along with a positive attitude and a healthy diet, your fitness level plays a major role in how well you feel, what illnesses you avoid, and how much you enjoy life. Consider the benefits of fitness presented here. Find one or more reasons to commit to your own fitness program.
Most studies show that exercising 30 minutes on most days each week is what it takes to improve fitness. However, sometimes it's easier to make exercise a habit if you do it every day. With exercise, harder is not better, but longer is. Although you can get good fitness benefits from as little as 10 minutes of exercise per day, extending your exercise time will increase your rewards. This is true for up to one hour of exercise per day. Beyond that, there may be diminishing health returns and increasing risk of injuries.
OVERCOME BARRIERS TO EXERCISE
There are six barriers to exercise that are all easy to easy to evercome.
- No time? Try shorter periods of activity spread throughout the day, such as three 10-minutes walks.
- Too tired? It's often lack of exercise that makes you tired. Exercise gives you energy. Try it.
- Embarrassed? People often are, especially at first. Be proud that you're taking care of your body.
- No partner? Yes, it's fun to exercise with others. If your regular partner quits, find another one. You can also join a fitness club, take a class, or exercise to a video.
- Bad weather? Too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy-it never seems right for exercise. Lots of people exercise come rain or shine. Try a variety of indoor and outdoor activities.
- Too costly? Try a lo-cost option, such as walking instead of driving.
BENEFITS OF EXERCISE
- Relieves tension and stress
- Provides enjoyment and fun
- Stimulates the mind
- Helps maintain stable weight
- Controls appetite
- Boosts self-image
- Improves muscle tone and strength
- Improves flexibility
- Lower blood pressure
- Relieves insomia
- Increase "good" (HDL) cholesterol
- Prevent diabetes