- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Herbal Remedies
Peppermint Benefits - Healing and Uses
Many Uses of Peppermint
Peppermint is a herb that has been used by people since ancient times for its therapeutic and magical properties. It has many health benefits. The Peppermint benefits come from its component of menthol and menthyl esters.. It also has a number of vitamins and minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper, folate, vitamin A and vitamin C.
Peppermint plant is a perennial herb that can grow up to two to three feet tall. The plants bloom from July through August, has tiny purple flowers and dark green leaves. The plant mainly grows in Europe and Asia. The fresh leaves can be used or it can be dried to be used later. The leaves have a refreshing fragrance. The plant blooms throughout summer. The peppermint leaves and stems contain menthol, a volatile oil and are used medicinally.
Peppermint is used in food flavoring, as tea and in many beauty products. Dried leaves of the plant are used for these preparation and is widely used commercially.
This plant kills some varieties of bacteria and viruses, proving that it has antibacterial and antiviral properties including antibiotic-resistant strains such as MSRA.
Conditions for which peppermint may be beneficial are listed below.
- It can be used for relieving cold and flu. The main ingredient in it is menthol which is an effective decongestant. Menthol loosens the mucus and helps to loosen and break up coughs with phlegm. It soothes sore throats and dry coughs as well. It is used as rubs which help to relieve congestion in chest and relief from cough, sinusitis and asthma.
- Peppermint oil uses can benefit the symptoms of headache and nausea. This can be achieved by applying the peppermint oil over the forehead. It should be mixed with Olive oil and Jojoba oil.
- It helps to overcome some anxiety, stress and depression. It can uplift the mood.
- Peppermint is beneficial for indigestion. It soothes the muscles of the stomach and intestine to be more functional. It helps the bile flow and thus fat digestion and helping proper digestion.
- It helps to relieve the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. It relaxes the muscles of intestine and allows the food to digest better. It can be used as peppermint tea.
- It is used to treat high fever by its cooling effect.
- It is effectively used in treating urinary tract infections.
- It can work as a pain reducer and can be applied to the skin over the area.
- It is improves blood circulation and thus, useful for cardiac function. It should not be used by people who has high blood pressure as it may raise the blood pressure.
- Peppermint also boosts the body immune system and can prevent a great number of diseases.
- It has a cooling effect on skin irritations caused by insect bites, poison ivy, or poison oak. It cures the itching caused by poison ivy.
- It helps to reduce dandruff and itchy scalp, and it can be used to grow a healthy hair.
- Peppermint oil nourishes the skin cells providing nutrition to the skin. It should be applied by mixing with a olive oil, jojoba oil or any base oil.
- It has great benefits when using with other essential oils such as lemon, eucaliptus and rosemary.
Drinking peppermint tea or using Peppermint oil will provide Peppermint benefits.
Magical properties: People has used peppermint plant since ancient time for cleansing, purification, protection, healing, love, money and prosperity.
The information in this hub does not replace the medical treatment. Consult your physician before using this.
- Health Benefits of Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper has been used for centuries as a spice to food and for healing health problems. It is a hot spice which gives a hot spicy taste to the food. There are many health benefits of cayenne pepper. Capsaicin is the active ingredient of...