- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Health Benefits of Tulsi Plant
Health Benefits of Tulsi (Basil)
Tulsi is a sacred plant with several health benefits. This sacred herb is planted in almost all the houses in India and worshipped from time immemorial. .It is widely known in South Asian countries and used for religious and medicinal purpose. Tulsi has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda for its many healing properties. Tulsi is grown abundantly in India. Indian climate is suitable for the growth of this holy plant.
What is Tulsi?
The scientific name of Tulsi is Ocimum tenuiflorum. Tulsi is also known as Basil. It is a native of India. There are three varieties of Tulsi - Rama Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), Krishna Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) and Vana Tulsi (Ocimum gratissimum). Each has its own distinctive taste. Tulsi contains hundreds of beneficial compounds known as phyto-chemicals and possess strong antioxidant, antibacterial, antiviral, adaptogenic, and immune-enhancing properties .
Tulsi leave powder
Health Benefits of Tulsi
Tulsi is useful in the following cases -
- Treating respiratory disorders - like fever, cold, sore throat and cough - Tulasi is an important ingredient in the preparation of many Ayurvedic cough syrups and expectorants. Chewing few tulsi leaves is very good during these conditions. Tulsi decoction with cardamom powder mixed, given every 2-3 hours, is also helpful to bring down fever.
- Prevents Malaria and Dengue fevers
- Stress reliever - By chewing about 10-12 Basil leaves daily, stress can be kept away to a certain extent.
- Kidney stone
- Stomach problems like flatulence, acidity and constipation
- Mouth ulcers- Just by chewing some Tulasi leaves helps to heal mouth ulcers.
- Teeth protection - To maintain healthy teeth, the leaves dried in the sun and powdered and used for brushing the teeth is helpful.
- Helps in treating Cholera.
- Improves Memory power
- Helpful in relieving headache - A paste of Tulsi and sandalwood applied on the forehead to get instant relief from headache. A decoction of the leaves can be given for this disorder.
- Treats skin disorders - Tulasi juice is beneficial in the treatment of ringworm and other skin diseases. Applying a paste of Tulsi and Aloe vera over the affected area brings quick results.
- The Anti-carcinogenic agents of Tulsi helps to help fight against cancer.
- Treating insect bites - Tulasi is useful. A teaspoonful of the juice of the leaves is taken and is repeated after a few hours. Along with, applying fresh juice to the affected parts is helpful.
Where to buy Tulsi Tea online?
Tulsi Tea (Basil Tea)
Tea is made from this holy herb, which is useful for many health problems. It has a good taste and can be consumed as hot or cold.
How is Tulsi tea made?
Tulsi tea can be made just like the way we make black tea. When the water is gently boiled add tulsi leaves, cover the lid, boil it in slow fire for 2 minutes, and then remove it from the fire. If you want you can add few drops of lemon juice into it, and strain it and drink.
Tulasi tea contains rich antioxidant and adaptogenic properties that promote wellness and longevity. These powerful antioxidants protect your body from disease by neutralizing free radicals that can harm your cells and tissues.
Drinking Tulsi tea is also claimed to rejuvenate the soul by balancing metabolism, building stamina and promoting mental clarity. Tulsi is caffeine free like other herbal infusions and contains vitamins A and C, calcium, zinc, iron and chlorophyll.
DISCLAIMER: These are only general guidelines as a first aid. It is always better to consult an ayurvedic doctor depending upon the intensity of the case. The views expressed above are entirely those of the author.
My other Hubs on Herbal plants
- Fenugreek Benefits
Fenugreek is a small herbal plant widely grown and used in India and Southeast Europe, northern Africa, Egypt, Morocco and the United States. India is the largest producer of fenugreek in the world, especially...
- Numerous Benefits of Lemon
Lemon is an oval type fruit said to be originated from India. Let us have a look at the health benefits of lemons. A ripe lemon is yellow in color and a raw one is green in color. This wonder fruit is widely...
- Oregano Plant and Oregano Uses
The botanical term of the oregano herb is Origanum Vulgare. In Greek, it means joy of the mountains. It is also known as Wild Marjoram. Oregano plant is a small herb and that grows about 2 feet tall, and has a...