- Diet & Weight Loss
Healthy and Gluten Free Chili? YES!
We Couldn't Give Up Chili
About a year ago my husband told me that he wanted to start eating healthier and feeling better. He had always been a very tall and slim guy so he never gave it much thought before but, when he turned the big 40 all that changed.
We were already eating fresh made dishes because my son is intolerant to Gluten, Casein, and a handful of other things so my husbands only real concern was reducing his calorie intake and increasing his protein.
He was up for pretty much anything and was a really good sport when I presented different beans and salads that he wasn't used to but he was a little sad at the thought of giving up things like Chili. I decided to do what I could to compromise and find a way he could eat what he liked, just in a healthier way.
When he tried this recipe he flipped! He considers himself somewhat of a Chili connoisseur and this was a definite winner. I tried a variety of different recipes but this one beat them all at our house.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 ¾ cups of Gluten Free Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Chunky Salsa
- 2 cups black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- Salt to taste
- Dash black pepper
- Heat the Olive oil in a 5 quart pot
- Cook the ground turkey, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and pepper until turkey is browned. Stir frequently to make the mixture crumbly.
- Add the chicken broth, salsa, beans and corn
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat temperature to low
- Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes
- Add cheese when serving if desired
More Delicious Gluten Free Recipes
- Chicken Jambalaya
Jambalaya originated in Louisiana back in the 19th Century. The two basic types of Jambalaya are Creole style and Cajun style. Creole Jambalaya is made with tomatoes and Cajun style Jambalaya is made without tomatoes. Jambalaya is a wonderful one dis
· Servings Per Recipe: 4
· Amount Per Serving
· Calories: 476.5
· Total Fat: 16.2 g
· Cholesterol: 84.2 mg
· Sodium: 855.7 mg
· Total Carbs: 50.3 g
· Dietary Fiber: 14.0 g
· Protein: 35.3 g