- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Herbal Remedies for Anxiety and How to Make them Work Better
Anxiety is a terrible thing to experience. Most of us have experienced it to some degree. However, some people really suffer from ongoing attacks of varying degrees. Serious problems with anxiety can reduce job performance, cause problems in relationships and generally just make life difficult for the people suffering from these problems. Luckily, there are cures out there. Some of those cures are even herbal cures. You just need to know what to use and how to make it as effective as possible.
Herbal Remedies for Anxiety
There are several herbal remedies that are believed to be effective in helping to reduce the problems people experience with anxiety. Note, however, that if you are suffering from a high level of anxiety then these herbal remedies may not work for you. In cases where anxiety levels are too high, it’s important to speak to a doctor about medical cures. You may find that taking a prescription medication for anxiety will calm you down enough that you can then transition to herbal remedies under the supervision of your doctor.
That said, some of the herbal remedies that are believed to be effective in treating mild cases of anxiety include:
· Kava. The most popular herbal remedy for treating mild social anxiety is kava. This herb has been shown in studies to produce positive results for people suffering from anxiety. However, it is a rather controversial herbal remedy because of its potential short-term and long-term effects. In the short-term, kava can cause skin rashes. In the long-term, it may cause liver damage.
· Passion flower. Most people take this herbal remedy in the form of a tea. It has been shown to reduce the symptoms of anxiety, calming the nerves. It does not have common side effects and is not believed to cause any long-term health concerns.
· Valerian root. This is also available as a tea but most people take this one in capsule form. It is believed to aid with anxiety problems as well as with sleep problems (which can be related to anxiety). There is less information about the success rate of this herbal remedy than there is about kava and passion flower but it’s another popular choice for people suffering from anxiety. In fact, it is often recommended as a transitional option for people who want to get off of prescription anxiety medications and start using herbal remedies instead.
· Chamomile tea. This type of tea is considered to be very soothing for the body. That soothing feeling can help you to relax, allowing the intensity of your anxiety to fade away. You may find that you experience this feeling with other teas as well but chamomile is the most popular choice.
· Lavender. You can use lavender as an essential oil that is either inhaled or massaged into the body. This soothing scent is the most popular aromatherapy solution for people who are interested in finding scented cures for their anxiety.
· California poppy. This herbal solution is considered to be a very strong herbal sedative. Sedatives help to calm you down which eases your anxiety.
· Lemon balm. This is a product that is generally combined with other products to create a soothing topical balm that can help to relieve anxiety. For example, lemon balm might be combined with valerian or with chamomile and then applied topically to the skin. It is sometimes used on its own but is reported to be ineffective for treating even mild anxiety. However, it is believed to boost the effects of these other herbal solutions.
· Ginseng. This is an herbal remedy that you want to take carefully. Unlike most herbal solutions for anxiety, this one is a stimulant. In general, you want to decrease stimulation to ease anxiety. However, many people have found that taking ginseng on a regular basis can help them avoid anxiety problems in their daily lives. Start slowly with this one and see how it works for you.
Combine Herbal Remedies with Natural Cures for Anxiety
These herbal remedies are going to be more effective if they are used in conjunction with other natural cures for anxiety. There are many things that you can do to reduce the experience of anxiety once you’ve started to calm down a little bit. One of the most popular natural cures for this condition is simply breathing. Any form of slow breathing, meditation or prayer generally allows you to calm down and lets the feelings of anxiety go away. Using herbal remedies as a way to start to calm down, you can then use breathing techniques to further calm your mind. Other natural techniques include exercising, going for a long walk, doing something easy that you enjoy doing and talking to a good friend. These are all things that can feel very hard to do when you are in the throes of anxiety but they can be great supplements to herbal remedies for anxiety.
Speak to a Professional
As stated at the beginning of this article, anxiety is a serious condition. You may want to speak with a psychiatrist to make sure that you don’t need prescription medication. In addition to working with a psychiatrist, you might want to consider working with a psychologist. This person can help you to address the underlying issues that might be affecting your anxiety. Learning new behavioral techniques and dealing with some of the emotional problems in your life will significantly improve the results that you get from using herbal remedies to treat your anxiety.