- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Home Cystic Acne Treatment
Cystic Acne Can Be Devastating
Cystic acne can be devastating! It is important to treat effectively and
consult a professional esthetician if your condition is not improving to prevent
Here are some medicine cabinet must have's for treating the cysts:
- Tea Tree Oil- this is one of only two essential oils that can be applied directly to the skin. Use a Q-tip to apply tea tree directly on the blemish AFTER it comes to a head. This will not work on underground cysts... When the blemish has come to a head, apply the tea tree with the q-tip, or even better, apply it to the pad of a band aid and sleep on it. When you wake up in the morning, your pimple will be dryer.
- Hydrogen Peroxide- IF the cyst ruptures, clean it with hydrogen peroxide to prevent secondary infection. Scarring is often caused by cysts not being treated properly after the skin breaks. If the skin does break, clean it thoroughly and apply a topical spot treatment.
- Sulfur based spot treatments- Benzoyl Peroxide causes free radical damage and premature aging! Sulfur is the best, most effective spot treatment for treating cysts. Sulfur targets oil production and will cause the blemish to heal more quickly.
- Sunscreen with Zinc Oxide- Zinc Oxide can be very effective at helping to control acne symptoms. Plus, as a bonus, it is less likely to irritate sensitive skin. Use your sunscreen every day, and if you have an underground pimple, apply a dab on the blemish before you go to bed at night.
Dealing With Cystic Acne: What NOT to Use
What not to use:
Oh, the scary remedies I have heard... Here is what not to do to your skin:
- Toothpaste- Not only does this not work, it can cause permanent damage and scarring in skin. Skin therapists are concerned with just the residue of toothpaste left on the sides of the lips that causes the lips to crack and peel. Under no circumstances are you to ever put this on your face!
- Someone else's prescription products- Do not use Mom's Retin-A or your friend's prescriptive glycolic cleanser. Everyone's skin is different. In my practice, I almost never have two friends with the same skin care needs. If you are interested in a prescription product someone else is using, ask YOUR doctor. they can help steer you in the correct medical direction that can treat your skin properly.
- Home Surgery - Do not pop those pimples! Get thee to an esthetician or a dermatologist if it doesn't come to a head on it's own! Incorrectly extracting blemishes will result in scarring. If you have a hard nodule under the skin, trust me, it won't come out if you squeeze it. Please leave the picking to the professionals. What if it is not an acne blemish? Staph infections can look very similar to acne lesions. If it has lasted for more than a few days, get to your doctor or trusted esthetician for treatment. You will be glad to not look at a new scar every single day.
YonKa Juvenil: Acne Remedy is a great associated product that helps your treatment.