- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Home Remedies for Treating Arthritis Pain
What is Arthritis?
It is said that arthritis is a very old disease since prehistoric days, and it is affecting more than 100 million people throughout the world. The people affected with arthritis, suffer from pains in the joints, stiff, swollen . As a result, they lose range of motion, and the pain becomes unbearable. It is very painful for the patients and in extreme cases, the fingers and joints become deformed and movement becomes extremely difficult.
Types of Arthritis
Arthritis has several forms and the most commonly seen are -
1) Osteoarthritis : Osteoarthritis is a degenerating joint disease mostly affecting after the age of 40. This type of arthritis is also known as degenerative joint disease, hypertrophic arthritis, osteoarthrosis, and degenerative arthritis. The bone increases in size and as a result the space in between reduces. This situation makes the bones to rub to each other, which results in pains..
2) Rheumatoid Arthritis: Rheumatoid Arthritis is affected at any age, mostly after 25. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder and it affects not only joints, but tendons and muscles too.
3) Gout: In patients with gout, excess of uric acid is deposited in the joints and causes swelling in joints, elbows, and especially in big toe. .
Yoga for arthritis
In addition, I continued to do mild yoga exercises, on a daily basis. A new person with any form of arthritis problem, it is advisable to learn the yoga exercises from a trained yoga teacher. She can guide you what is to be done. There are several asanas which can help to relieve the pain. Pranayama is also highly helpful.
Causes of Arthritis
Though a definite reason for arthritis is not yet known, the scientists believe that the following things can attribute to the causes of Arthritis.
- Gender has a role to play in arthritis. Arthritis is more seen in women.
- Studies show that people having less exercises and also doing more exercises are prone to get arthritis. With less exercises they do not get enough movements to their body which ultimately can result in restriction to their joint movements. In the same way, more exercises can also cause damage to the joints.
- The living conditions of a person such as damping conditions can also contribute to the development of arthritis.
- People with food allergies to diary products are also reported as prone to this disease.
Home Remedies for Arthritis
These are some of the home treatments for Arthritis which I collected from various sites, which may be useful to some people. All of them may not be useful to all, but at least some of these natural treatment for arthritis pain may work.
- Gently massaging the affected part with warm olive oil.
- Rub the affected part with warm vinegar.
- A warm water bath where 1 tb.spoon of Epson salt added, is very helpful..
- Consuming about 10 raisins (Golden color, not brown) soaked in gin, is said to be a good remedy. The soaked raisins need not be refrigerated.
- Apply castor oil on the affected area, and massage gently.
- Consuming hot water where 3 tbs. Apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp. of honey are added, twice a day.
- Include flax seeds oil in your food (not to be cooked or heated).
- Daily do some easy exercises without straining on the affected area. No force to be used.
- Avoid consuming cold food by an arthritis patient such as ice cream, cold juice etc, and try to take always warm food.
My personal experience
Few months back I was affected by osteoarthritis and frozen shoulder on my left side. Being a regular yoga practitioner I never thought I will get this problem. sometimes things are unexplainable. I tried all types of treatment available, without much benefits. I had reached a stage where I couldn't even type one paragraph, without pain. What to say more? I was struggling to do even my own basic needs such as combing my hair, wearing my dresses etc. First I went to an orthopaedician who, after examining me and taking x-rays, prescribed medicines and physiotherapy treatment for several days, which though I did, didn't bring much relief to me. Then I tried ayurveda treatment, which though works for many, didn't work for me. (Two years back I had osteoarthritis on my knees when ayurveda had worked, and I'm completely without pain now. ) But somehow it didn't work for my hand. That was the time one of my close friends asked me to accompany her to see a Homeopathy doctor, on whom she had great faith. I didn't have much faith in it, but still because she was my close friend I decided to follow her advice. To my utter surprise, the doctor after examining me and seeing the x-rays which I had carried with me, told me I will get back to my normalcy, after few days of treatment. I promptly followed his medicine and after 7 weeks I'm happy to say that I am free from pain and almost back to normal.....!!!
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies.