- Vision & Eye Care
Home remedy treatments for conjunctivitis
Home remedy treatments for conjunctivitis (pink eye)
As defined by the Health Scout Network, “Conjunctivitis is the inflammation of the conjunctiva (the membrane that lines the eyelids and covers the exposed surface of the eyeball).”
Conjunctivitis maybe caused by bacteria, virus or is often a resultant of allergies. Its symptoms are intense itching and Redness of the eye, swelling up of the eyes, watery discharge from the eyes that usually tends to crust up overnight. Sneezing and runny nose may also occur if conjunctivitis is in case of an allergy. Except the allergic type, conjunctivitis is typically contagious; therefore it is important to take care of the patient and keep other’s away from contact. Although a very hard thing to do in case of young children, it is imperative to avoid the spread of conjunctivitis in other individuals.
Conjunctivitis caused by allergies disappears when the cause of allergic reaction is removed. Nevertheless medical examination is required for the treatment of pink eye. However for quick curative purposes home remedies can be used to improve the condition before going to the doctor.
- Use cold water compresses- an old home remedy to sooth the eyes. It works well to lower the redness and provides a cool feeling that reduces the inflammation as well as the irritation in the eye.
- Simmer some chamomile flowers in water and let it cool. Use it as an eye wash twice a day to help in reducing the harsh symptoms of conjunctivitis.
- Bacterial or viral conjunctivitis cause a lot of itching and swelling in the eye, to soothe them use calendula as a home compress and eye wash or buy in the form of eye drops. Being an antiseptic it will heal the soreness effectively.
- Make sure to keep affected eyes clean by wiping them softly with a cold compress or a clean handkerchief. Dispose of all the items that came into contact with your eyes to avoid agitating the allergy and the spread of this disease.
- Pulsatilla tablets are known to be among the most effective homeopathic remedies for conjunctivitis or pink eye. It is a remedy derived from the plant commonly known as wind flower, pasque flower, or meadow anemone. It was used medicinally since ancient times for eye ailments. The standard dose is five tablets after every 4 hours until the condition is cured. However you must consult the doctor before taking in such medication and follow the directions on the medicine precisely.
Learn more about Pink Eye on Hubpages
- Is Pink Eye Contagious
Is Pink Eye Contagious and does it generally spreads from one eye to another very quickly and should you be worrried about Pink Eye? Also known as conjunctivitis it can affect all the members of a persons household if the required...
- How to treat pink eye in infants and children
Pink eye or conjuctivitis Pink eye is the inflammation of the outermost layer of the eye and the inner surface of the eyelids. Pink eye can occur in infants and children for a variety of reasons. In some...
- Pink Eye Treatment
You got a pink eye and now you want to know about pink eye treatment. Guess what? You have come to the right place. Here you'll find the information you need about conjunctivitis. First let us see what is pink...
- How to Treat and Prevent Pink Eye Symptoms
Pink eye or conjunctivitis affects millions of people in North America. Conjunctivitis is the inflammation of the conjunctiva which is the outer protective layer of the cornea. Pink eye symptoms include eyes...