How Does Chromotherapy Work?
Heal with Colors
Chromotherapy, or color therapy, uses visual colors to help heal the mind, body, and soul. The color help to create a balance in the body to heal emotional disturbances and physical ailments. Different colors are used to balance and heal the body.
There are many different colors that we see on a day to day basis, some colors elicit happiness and warmth, whereas others may evoke sadness and depression, calmness, anger, passion, mystery, pureness, or just about everything in-between.
Because colors can evoke just about any emotion or they can enhance a current emotion or imbalance, color therapy has become a more popular treatment. There are some studies that prove the effectiveness of using colors to help balance mental states. Some conventional doctors are even giving their approval for the use of chromotherapy in some cases.
As an alternative medicine, color therapy uses all natural aspects and healing factors. There aren't any chemicals, toxins, or medications used. The only thing that is used in color therapy, are colors.
We see colors as different wavelengths of energy. What we actually see is the light that has been bounced and reflected from the back of the eye, creating the color of the object. The color white, on the other hand, is a blend of all the colors, and the color black is, in essence, not a color at all, as the object has absorbed the light waves.
Not everyone sees the same color when they look at the same object; what color we see will vary on how the brain interprets the light wavelengths.
You may not think about it, but colors really do affect how we act and feel. Colors influence our mood, emotions, sense of un-easiness, sense of well-being, sexual attraction, sexual ability, and view of perception.
Colors can actually tell a lot about a person. When you ask a person what his favorite color is, that color can actually determine temperament and basic traits.
How Can Colors Heal
Because colors affect our emotions and can pre-determine traits, they can be used to help heal and balance the body and mind. Colors evoke feeling naturally, so color therapy is based on the natural reactions to colors. Each person will react to the same color differently, so color therapy isn't an exact treatment course, but it has been proven effective.
When certain colors are shown to the patient, different feelings are evoked. Blue can be used as a calming color for someone who is high in stress, whereas red can be used to help evoke romantic feelings and sexual desire.
Do keep in mind that not everyone feels the same emotion toward the same color, so you do have to be careful, as the colors can elicit different feelings. Some people may feel angry with red coloring instead of sexual.
It is the responsibility of the color therapist to monitor your emotional state so that the colors can be changed and altered in order to give you the desired results that you're looking for. The specialist should be able to provide colors that will help balance all seven chakras of the body as individualized and unique to your body.
Color therapy helps to re-balance the body and mind by showing basic colors that the brain will see and send the hormonal glands nerve messages to evoke a specific feeling.
Colors Evoke Feelings
- Red- love, passion, sexuality, anger, aggression, independence, masculinity
- Orange- luck, charm, stimulation, success
- Yellow- knowledge, life, vitality, communication
- Green- fertility, growth, harmony, healing
- Blue- peace, tranquility, calmness, loyalty, honor, patience, femininity
- Indigo- stability, devotion, cooling
- Purple- spirituality, dignity, compassion
- White- purification, protection, inspiration, truth seeking
- Pink- love, innocence, sweetness
- Turquoise- originality, insight, alterations
- Brown- protection of household, pets and family, solidify relationships, conservation
- Grey- negative, erasing something, cancel something
- Black- break free from bad habit, mystery, deep meditation
- Gold- authority, investment
- Silver- female energy, birth, healing hormonal imbalance
- Copper- love, passion, positive relationship, career promotion, business, negotiation