How Often Should You Visit Your ENT?
An ENT specialist is a physician who is trained specifically for treating problems related to the ear, nose, throat and parts of head and neck related to them. They provide detailed diagnoses on conditions like tonsillitis, sinusitis, ear discharge, hearing problems, etc. According to Everyday Health Media, these doctors are not just experts in medical procedures associated with these areas of the body, but are also surgical experts of various ear, nose, throat and neck related conditions. India has some of the best ENT specialists around the world, especially in places like Bangalore, Hyderabad, etc. That is why people from around the world visit India for better medical and surgical treatments of various problems.
When to Visit an Ear Nose Throat Specialist
- Ear Related Problems: A specialist would be an ideal person to consult for various ear disorders or ear related conditions like hearing impairment, ear infections, tinnitus, or pain in the ear. They are also well equipped to treat congenital ear disorders. According to the American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, taking care of cancerous disorders of the outer and inner ear also comes under the expertise of these doctors.
- Nose Related Problems: Various nose related conditions in the nasal cavity, sinuses, etc, are taken care of by these professionals. Such problems can go on to affect the physical appearance, smelling ability and breathing prowess of the human nose.
- Throat Problems: Throat related problems include problems with the voice box and the upper aero-digestive tract, and can go on to affect the speaking, eating, swallowing and digesting abilities of a person. That’s where an expert can help by diagnosing the issue in time and also managing and treating them.
- Head and Neck Issues: Apart from the ear, nose and throat, an ENT specialist is also equipped to treat tumors and various infectious diseases and deformities on the face. They also are trained in treating issues with nerves in the head that control sensations like smell, sight, hearing, etc.
Symptoms Signaling Professional Consultation
There are many symptoms that would suggest a visit to an ENT specialist. Some of them include:
- Sinus Pain: Sinus related pain can be excruciating and can occur in the face, upper teeth, or ear. This could be a clear indication of the need to visit the doctor.
- Sore Throat: A sore throat is something that most of us tend to take lightly. But it can be a symptom for many other diseases. So, if a sore throat persists for longer than usual, you should consult a physician.
- Hearing Issues: Whenever you experience a hearing issue, it could be due to one of two things. One is the accumulation of things in the ear, like wax, which should be eliminated. The second is damage to the nerves as a result of exposure to loud noises or as a result of aging, say ENT specialist in Bangalore. For both scenarios, it is better to book an appointment at the earliest.
- Headaches: A headache can also be a symptom for several other problems, such as acute upper respiratory infections, chronic sinusitis, etc. It is also a symptom that is misinterpreted by most patients.
ENT vs Regular Physician
In India, visiting a regular physician is the first thing that we do for any symptom or illness. But at times, it becomes necessary to seek specialized care, especially when the symptoms you are facing is not decreasing or are recurring on a frequent basis. According to an article on India Times, an Ear-Nose-Throat specialist has much more detailed knowledge about the concerned problems, as compared to a regular physician. They also have the right equipment to study and treat various ear, nose and throat related problems. For example, it is a routine procedure for a specialist to insert a small endoscopic camera to check your nose and accurately determine the problem. Also, these doctors would require lesser number of tests to figure out the exact issue as compared to a regular physician, who might have to go through a larger number of tests to do the same.