- Vision & Eye Care
How To Get Rid Of Pink Eye
How To Get Rid Of Pink Eye
Among the common eye infections includes Pink Eye which in medical terms is also known as conjunctivitis. Thinking on How To Get Rid Of Pink Eye?. Well this article will help you discover remedies and treatments to ease your condition of conjunctivitis and treat it as fast as possible.
What really is conjunctivitis or pink eye?
The mucous membrane that surrounds the white area of the eye is called conjunctiva and the inflammation of this layer results in conjunctivitus.
Pink Eye Symptoms And Causes
Pink Eye Causes
A number of factors can be the reason for pink eye but it basically is a result of exposure to viruses, bacteria, allergic substances such as pollen in some cases, dust etc and irritants such as smoke, shampoos can be the possible causes of pink eye.
Pink Eye Symptoms
Due to the inflammation of conjunctiva you may experience unpleasant symptoms which include:
- Burning sensation in eyes
- Extreme sensitiveness
- Redness in eyes
- Itching sensation in eyes
- Blurring of vision
- Secretion of a think greenish yellow substance from eyes.
How To Treat Pink Eye?
When it comes to treating pink eye it really depends on what caused it in the first place.
Caused by Bacteria is usually treated by using antibiotics which are generally broad spectrum antibiotics such as chloramphenicol. Treatment may be in the form of eye drops, pills etc as well. Application of eye drops may be required to use frequent times in the day. After a week the condition is much very likely to improve.
Caused by Viruses are more contagious than those caused by bacteria. This type requires some time for your body to cope up with the infection as with most viruses your bodies immune system is responsible to kill viruses by producing anti bodies. To provide comfort tablets like paracetamol etc can be used and for comfort lubricating ointment example labri-lube can also be applied.
Caused by Irritants can be treated by extra care. Cleaning your eyes 3 times a day is a healthy practise which should be implemented and be cautious as to what results in irritation.
Caused by Allergens requires identifying and removing the source of allergen and with respect to treatment topcial antihistamine drops can be applied.
Home Remedies For Pink Eye.
- In case of bacterial or viral pink eye this is a very useful home remedy. Using calendula will help to provide your eyes comfort. It is antiseptic in nature and also reduces inflammation as well as itchiness in eyes.
- A supplement of Vitamin A or consuming a lot of vitamin A by having foods such as carrots, corn etc also helps with pink eye. Application of a lotion enriched with vitamin A is also a quick and easy home remedy.
- Herbs are safe and natural way to treating various conditions. In case of pink eye Eyebright herb will help you get rid of pink eye.
- Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo. Yes you read that right Johnson's baby shampoo does not irritate the eyes. It basically serves to clean the eyes and its a very easy and effective home remedy you can implement. Gently apply to the eyelid and a q tip can also be used for the application.
- Vegetable Juices especially those enriched with Vitamin C & E have proven benefits in case of conjunctivitis. Spinach and carrot juice are options you should absolutely consider incorporating in your diet.
- Coriander and about 60 ml of water is a home made remedy to relieve your eyes from the burning sensation along with this it also helps to reduce inflammation.
Helpful Tips To Avoid Conjunctivitis.
- The first and foremost important factor to consider is hygiene a good hygiene especially of hands and face would reduce the changes of getting pink eye.
- Try to avoid sharing towels especially if some one already has pink eye.
- Frequently change your pillow cases.
- Try to not rub your eyes and wash your hands thoroughly.
- Use of disposable tissues is recommended and use lukewarm salt water to remove any pus.