- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
How To Maintain Your Energy Levels Throughout The Day
A survey reveals that more than 75% of people are not able to maintain good energy levels throughout the day. Due to this, their productivity levels come down and especially, during the post-lunch hours and late evenings, their output may be much below par. If you also feel the same way, the solution to this problem lies in making a few changes to your lifestyle. These changes in your habits are certain to motivate you both physically and mentally but, you should follow these steps consistently.
A lot of research has taken place on sleep, stress, metabolism and so on and the main focus of this research is to find out the hours of the day when people have a tendency to feel drained out. The aim of these researches is to find out how this fatigue can be tackled and how energy levels can be increased in these people. Researchers and experts advise the following few steps for maintaining the energy levels throughout the day.
- As soon as you wake up in the mornings, you should expose yourself to light. You should develop the habit of waking up at the same time daily also. By exposing yourself to light, you will be enabling the circadian rhythms that are managed by the hypothalamus gland that is also known as "the body clock". When the circadian rhythms are enabled, it will be easy for you to stay in sync with the day's 24 hours. If you do not expose yourself to light, the sleep-wake cycle of the body gets disturbed and this may push you to postpone your waking up by 12 minutes daily. Due to this, the 24-hour rhythm will become a 24.2-hour rhythm.
Researchers are still not able to find out why this happens and they opine that this may be happening due to the seasonal shifts of the sun. In other words, you will spend 12 more minutes on your bed than the previous day. If you do not utilize the benefit of light, you are likely to feel tired soon. The best way is to take a 30-minute stroll outdoors so that you are exposed to good sunlight. If you are not able to go out, you can remain indoors but should be exposed to good light.
- The next step suggested by experts is that you should reduce your intake of carbohydrates and increase the amount of proteins you consume. Excessive carbohydrates are capable of eating away your energy. It is a proven fact that increased intake of proteins boosts energy levels. As far as snacks are concerned, you should choose only healthy snacks like nuts, dried fruit, etc. Such snacks can be taken between meals and they will help you in avoiding food comas and in maintaining good energy levels.
- You should make it a point to drink plenty of water daily so that you remain hydrated internally and externally throughout the day. Since water will help in removing toxins from the body, this is a very important step for keeping your energy levels up.
- If you are a coffee-addict, you should reduce it forthwith because caffeine is a diuretic and can counter the benefits you get by drinking a good amount of water. If you have the habit of drinking coffee as soon as you wake up in the mornings, you should try to delay it as far as possible. Caffeine is capable of countering the effects of the brain chemical called adenosine that can induce sleep. This chemical will slowly accumulate in your body and when it reaches the peak during the afternoons, you may feel sleepy. Another reason is that the effects of your morning coffee may have worn off by then. If you make it a point to have about half to one cup of coffee in the afternoons instead of in the mornings, the caffeine in it will counter adenosine and keep your energy levels up. You should know the exact time at which you should take your afternoon coffee because some people may find it difficult to sleep during nights if they take coffee in the afternoons.
- You should have fixed times for eating your meals. If you are in the habit of eating irregularly that is otherwise called chaotic eating, it will be difficult for you to maintain your energy levels.
- You should take prudent steps to manage your stress. Though meditation, yoga, etc. are good, you can opt for many short sessions of these instead of longer sessions. Likewise, instead of a few longer time-outs, you should have several short time-outs. These steps will increase the levels of endorphins in the body.
- If you feel drowsy in the afternoons, going for a walk in the sunlight is better than having a power nap.
- Before retiring for bed, you should unwind by listening to good music or reading an interesting book. This is much better than spending time on social networking sites that may not help in your efforts to unwind.