How to Age Less and Live Longer
I never really thought of aging until last year when I crossed forty. That year I met a remarkable woman who was seventy years old and was astonishingly young looking, energetic and passionate about life. She inspired me. I too wanted to grow old gracefully.
Experts say that longevity is attributed to many factors and mostly to those that we can have a hand with. Things like having smart nutrition, exercise and positive attitude. How then do we add years to our life and life to our years?
Make a Commitment to Embark on a Personal Longevity Plan
If we want to grow old gracefully and graciously, we need to create good healthy habits. This doesn’t just happen by accident. It takes commitment and a good plan that we must follow. Also, we must have inner motivation and a clear vision of what we truly want.
I took a photo of myself and the woman who inspired me so I can visualize what kind of person I want to be when I am seventy and more.
Love Your Body
When you were born, you received a body. You may love or hate your body but for the time that you are on Earth, this body is yours. Stop for awhile and check if you love your body or not.
- Are you feeding your body with nutritious or junk food?
- Are you allowing it to get enough rest or less than what it needs?
- Do you get active and move your body or do you tend to be lazy and sit around for hours?
- Do you praise or criticize your body when you look at it?
Eating a handful of nuts a day is known to increase your life. The omega 3 found in nuts and fish keeps your brain sharp, your mood balanced and gives you smoother skin.
Researchers from the University of Athens who regularly eat veggies, fish and olive oil live more than others. Plant based foods and healthy fats reduce the risk of heart disease.
If you want to add three years to your life, eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables.
Stays fit by keeping in shape and have the desired weight. Life expectancy decreases if you are overweight or underweight.
Eat smart and maintain a healthy BMI.
National Association of Broadcasters Education Foundation Let's Move with Beyoncé
Stay active. Our bodies need to move and be used for it to last through the years. Find the best exercise regimen that suits you. Yoga, pilates, zoomba, swimming, walking and so many more. Explore and enjoy your body in motion.
Each body is different and has varied needs. No one diet works for everyone nor does any sleep, exercise or sleep regimen. But if you respect and value your body, you would hold it in high regard. And just like you treat anything that you find valuable, you learn to treat it well. You choose to treat it well.
This may be too obvious but it must be stated again or it might be overlooked. If you give your body all the love that it needs, your body will work in its optimum level and would happily work for you as your partner.
Learn How to Deal with Stress and Live a Positive Life
Stress is the number one killer and cause of diseases. If you want to learn how to age less, then learn to deal and cope with stress.
There are many ways to deal with stress.
- Meditate and quiet your mind
- Change the belief systems that bring you negativity and replace it with positive ones.
- Nurture your relationships and improve your connections.
- Engage in activities that bring you joy and pleasure.
- Find your purpose and live a life filled with meaning.
- Forgive and let go of hurts, resentment or anger.
- Laugh often.
- Allow yourself to go with the flow with life. Resistance causes stress. Acceptance is the key to heal.
- Acquire a positive and grateful attitude.
- Once in a while, be spontaneous.
- Live mindfully. Breathe in the fresh air of new life everyday and be grateful for who you are and what you have.
There are still numerous ways on how to live longer. The best way to go about it is to learn to listen to your inner guidance, the one that is connected to your divinity. Allow it to guide and give you the wisdom that you need to live a life that you yearn to live.
By: Michelle Simtoco
This Book Will Shift Your Perspective About Health
One More Thing
If you, like me, want to really know if it were eternally possible to be ageless in body and timeless in mind, the book from Deepak Chopra is a book you must read. Voted up interesting and fascinating. This book started me off with the belief that it is truly possible for us to be old and healthy.