- Men's Health & Wellness
How to Avoid Stress, Tension and Pressures
With the recent economic turmoil, stress seems to disrupt and affect the way of life of most people. People nowadays are worried about the security of their tenure in work, health, their children's needs and education, everyday expenses and future. Most of us are now aware that stress can inflict damage to our mind and health. Prolong exposure to stress may weaken our immune system, which is our first natural defense against any form of illnesses.
Moreover, stress is hindrance to our work, since it affects our productivity and efficiency. It is vital to prevent from getting exhausted as one must enhance and protect his/her mental health at all times.
Here are some tips that can surely help us get rid of stress, tension and pressure:
1. Don't take problems seriously there are always ways to solve them. Always find ways to talk to people who you trust most like your spouse and/or even your best friend. Talk to them about the things that are bothering you and your feelings as well. This is a great way of releasing unwanted energy you had acquired over the years.
2. The art of delegation. There is no doubt that no man is an island, and oftentimes difficult things to accomplish can easily be done with teamwork. Make it a habit to ask for help when a need for it arises. You may seek help from friends, family, colleagues or to your subordinates. Getting precious help can enable you to save valuable energy and time.
3. Visualize things on a bigger picture and don't concentrate on small details. This way you can know what appropriate actions you will make for every tasks you have.
4. Always be on a "Worker Mode," when you are at work and become a "Good Parent" when you are at home. This will help you a lot in simplifying problems and getting through with the separate worlds you're in.
5. Use some of your time to unwind and relax. You can spend quality time playing with your children, watching your favorite shows in television, listening to your favorite songs on the radio, reading interesting books, chatting with your friends in the internet, do gardening or just simply forget your work. If you have a good budget why not visit a theme park or a tourist destination nearest you, doing this this will surely be a blast as your kids will remember this outing for the rest of their lives. This is a great way to replenish lost energy during work.
6. Be organized. Use the Japanese principle 5S namely in your workplace or in your office:
Seiri (sort) – Distinguishing things. Throw those things that are broken and useless, while keeping those things that are useful. This will surely help you save space.
Seiton (straighten) – Arranging things in order, so tools, equipments, or other necessary things you need in your work are easily accessible for use. This is great way of saving valuable time.
Seiso (scrub/sweep) – Cleaning of the workplace including the floors, tools, equipments, cabinets, etc. Cleaning actually prolongs the lifespan of your equipments, devices, tools and other office paraphernalia.
Seiketsu (standardize) – Maintaining the cleanliness of your workplace. Frequent cleaning may help you avoid accumulation of dusts and helps prevent your workplace from getting dirty.
Shitsuke (sustain/self-discipline) – Doing things without being told. Be consistent in the implementation of good habits that are essential in keeping your workplace organized and free from dirt.
7. Learn to control your emotions. Anger will only lead you to danger and will only give you anxiety. Plus it is not a good idea getting angry for you might find an adversary with a bad temper. Stay sober.
8. Prioritize. Be realistic finish the projects that are doable and get rid of those that are impossible to accomplish. Clear your mind, set deadline for those projects that requires days or perhaps months to accomplish and having sticky notes about these to keep you reminded in finishing them will certainly help a lot.
9. Sleep early. Remember that quality sleep is 8 to 10 hours hours. Moreover, according to studies lack of sleep can lead to gaining weight.
10. Always pray for this can aid aid you ease out your worries. You may try basic yoga or find a new interesting hobby.
Smoothen your mind with these tips, they're free and attainable...Click thumbnail to view full-size
Some foods are good for the memory and getting rid of stress, tension and pressures.
11. Do not forget to have a good laugh at all times if possible. Having a good sense of humor will help you in getting through with problems.
12. Always find time to exercise. Walking for thirty minutes everyday is good enough. Exercise promotes the production of useful endorphins, a hormone that has an effect in making you happy. Exercise will also help our body to avoid the production of cortizone, a harmful hormones that creates unwanted stress and tension.
13. Nuts such as peanuts, walnuts, and pistachios and fruits like the nutritious mangosteen, avocado and oranges are packed with useful antioxidants and B-Vitamin complex that lowers blood pressures, reduces heart stress, and relaxes the brain. Skim milk, oatmeal and foods that are rich in carbohydrates help the brain in production of serotonin, a hormone that relaxes the body and promotes a happy and blissful life.
14. Try fish therapy, pamper yourself with the great sight fish pets could provide. By merely looking at these wonderful fishes that comes in different shapes, colors and sizes will surely soothes your mind and gives you instant relaxation anytime of the day.
15. Refrain from smoking for this habit will just add your anxiety.
16. If all the above mentioned cannot relieve stress, tension and pressure, don't hesitate to consult your doctor, because prolong exposure to these may lead to mild to severe depression.
This is my fourth entry to the Hubchallenge