10 Tips to Get Healthy and Be More Fit!
Lose Weight and Get Fit: Practical Advice
Let me begin by saying I am not a fitness guru, but I do like to stay active. I enjoy playing sports such as Soccer, Volleyball, and Racquetball on a weekly basis and I also like to Lift Weights, Bike, Swim and Run when I am not playing sports.
There are lots of benefits to being fit, and almost no benefits for not being fit and active. So why is the world full of unhealthy people with weight problems? Well, because they have not learned how to to be more fit and lose weight!
So here I want to share some of my simple tips on how to be fitter, lose weight and live a more healthy life..
Lose Weight and Get Fit
10 Practical Fitness Tips on How to Lose Weight and Be More Fit!
1. Get a Gym Membership – Yes, this one costs money, but if you are serious about getting fit and losing weight, one of the best ways is to pay for a gym. For me, the fact that I am spending money on a gym membership helps encourage me to use it. Plus, almost all gyms offer beginner class or tours of the facilities to help you fit in.
2. Join a Sports Team – Joining a sports team is a great way to have fun, get fit, and meet new people! A win-win-win! I joined an open pick-up Volleyball group and play once a week with them. Look around your town, on websites and ask friends, you might find groups already playing sports you might want to join.
3. Eat and Make More of Your Meals at Home – It’s simple, if you make your own food at home, you have control over what goes into it. When buying food, try to buy mostly (if not all!) healthy things. Instead of buying a bag of chips, get carrots. Take easy steps towards eating your way to better health and fitness!
4. Ask to Join a Friend Who Already Goes to the Gym or Runs – Know someone who already stays fit? Ask if you can join them, or if they can show you some things. Its always fun to learn new things with a friend.
5. Start Your Own Little Group of Friends Who Workout or Walk/Run – If you have some friends, who might want to join you in your fitness activities, then get a group together. It will help to keep you dedicated because you know there will be people expecting to see you. It can also be encouraging to work in a group towards a common goal of losing weight and getting fit.
6. Schedule or Plan a Time During the Day to Run/Walk – the hardest part of getting fit is finding the time, so try choosing a time, such as 7:30am, when you will go for a run or walk. Even a 30min walk is a great start towards getting more fit.
7. Buy a Bike and Plan Routes and Places to Go on It – Maybe you already own a bike, or can buy one cheap on Craigslist, but Biking is a great way to get around, save money on gas, and get fit! I got a road bike a year ago and love the ability to get away and ride for an hour or so. It helps clear my mind, and helps be stay fit.
8. Start a Water Activity Such as Snorkeling, Skimboarding or Swimming – If you live near a lake, ocean or pool, I would suggest you try out some water sports. They can be tons of fun, and give you a great full body workout that helps lose weight!
Read my hub on Skimboarding if you want to learn more about that!
9. Buy New Workout Gear - Sometimes getting new stuff helps motivate you to use it! I got new running shoes recently, and I couldn't help but want to go running to try them out. So pick up a new shirt or shoes and then use them!
10. Add More Fruits and Vegetables to Your Diet – don’t just count the fruits and vegetables you already eat during the day, but actually ADD a few servings of each into your meals. Consider a banana with breakfast, a salad with lunch, or an afternoon apple. Start by buying more fruits and vegetables, and then put them somewhere in your house where you will see them often to remind yourself!
11. Drink More Water! Yep, it’s that easy. Instead of that sugar filled drink, grab a glass of water. Also, make sure you have plenty of water throughout your day because it helps keep your body healthy and your metabolism running.
12. Cut out the Soda and Chips - reducing the amount of 'bad' food you eat will do wonders in helping you lose weight, and be way more healthy. Instead of trying to stop eating everything that is unhealthy, just try cutting out onw food or drink at a time that is unhealthy. Maybe you often snack on ships, or cookies, or have 4 sodas a day - just try reducing how often you consume these and replace them with water and healthy food options.