- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Home Remedies
How to Beat a Cold (Virus)
If you are human, you have more than likely had a Virus or infection. After you are sick, you probably try desperately to get rid of your illness. There are tricks and techniques you can employ to shorten the duration of your illness or you can begin treatment as soon as you think you may be sick. I will offer several things below which can be used by themselves or combined for better efficiency.
How a Cold Works
A cold is a viral infection. It is transmitted from person to person either by air, direct contact, or contact with contamintated objects (door handles, countertops). This virus can live for an extended period of time. It is usually picked up on a person's hands and transmitted to their eyes, ears, or mouth. The traditional cold (rhinovirus) is most infectious during the first 3 days of symptoms, afterwards transmission is less likely.
Antibiotic do no good for viral infections, so it is best to avoid them.
- Because they do not help reduce symptoms or shorten the duration of the infection.
- Because they can do more harm than good by destroying good gut bacteria
So, how do you know that you have a cold? Check out the symptoms below:
- Runny Nose
- Nasal Congestion
- Muscle Ache
- Head Ache
- Loss of Appetite
- Sore Throat
These symptoms can also be present in a bacterial infection as well.
How to Fight it Off
Here's how I beat a Virus or a Bacterial infection. Mostly, I fight it with food and fluids.
- Fluids-Preferably water (Smart Water because it contains electrolytes and no sugar)or an acidic juice that is high in Vitamin C (OJ, Grapefruit, Natural Lemonade)
- Protein - protein helps to rebuild cells - I advise lean protein like Eggs, Chicken, and Fish
- Garlic and Onions - These foods have natural antiseptic properties
- Yogurt - full of healthy bacteria that can help fight the infection from the inside
- Honey - also another wonderful natural antiseptic
- AVOID Sugar and Dairy - Sugar feeds infections and so does Dairy so I limit these as soon as I determine I may be sick
- Sleep - do this as much as you can force yourself to do
- Multivitamin - I usually double my daily dose, so I take them in the morning and in the evening
- Extra Vitamin C
- Echinacea - if you've just been exposed or know you will be exposed take the minimum dose of 400mg 3X's a day, if you are already sick take the maximum dose of 400mg 6Xs a day
- Probiotic Multi-Enzyme - This is going to make sure you are getting all the healthy probiotics to make you gut function properly
- Saline Spray - spray up your nose and keep your sinus passages wet, dry sinuses crack and allow more infection in
- Melatonin - to help you sleep - I would recommend 4mg at the minimum, 20 minutes before you plan to be asleep.
- Zinc - either losenges or take extra zinc supplements
- Cloraseptic throat losenges for a sore or scratchy throat
- Vics VapoInhaler for your sinus headache