- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
How to Increase Good Cholesterol Levels Naturally
HDL cholesterol is called the good cholesterol. HDL levels below 40mg/dl tend to increase the chances of coronary heart disease. Increasing good cholesterol levels helps to get rid of the plaque. The normal levels of HDL are between 40mg/dl to 60mg/dl. However HDL cholesterol levels of more than 60mg/dl helps to lower the chances of heart disease. The bad cholesterol (LDL) increases the plaque that causes the heart disease. There are several ways to increase the good cholesterol ( HDL) levels naturally.
Cholesterol is the waxy substance which is found in all cells of the body. These cells circulate through the blood stream to all parts of the body. They are attached to proteins. These proteins are called lipoproteins.
Low density lipoproteins at normal levels are useful to the body. It circulates through the body and delivers cholesterol to different tissues and organs. If there is an excess of LDL it gets deposited on the walls of the blood vessels under the lining. This starts to narrow down the blood vessels and causes heart disease.
High density lipoproteins (HDL) are the good cholesterol. It removes the plaque deposited on the walls of the blood vessels. It is then taken back to the liver and broken down.
It is necessary not only to lower LDL but also to increase HDL. It can be said that increase in HDL cholesterol levels is an important step to reduce the chances of heart disease.
It is possible to increase the good cholesterol levels naturally by a change in the lifestyle. Weight loss is an important step in increasing HDL levels. Regular aerobic exercise which increases the heart rate will also help to increase HDL cholesterol levels.
Smoking is very bad for health. If you quit smoking HDL levels in the body will increase.
Moderate consumption of alcohol is good for health. Excessive drinking brings down the HDL cholesterol levels. A drink a day would be beneficial.
Several foods help to increase HDL cholesterol levels.
· Eating half an onion every day helps to increase HDL cholesterol levels by 25 percent.
· Oats, whole grains, apples, citrus fruits, grapes, legumes and lentils contain soluble fibers. Soluble fibers help to increase HDL cholesterol levels.
· Canola oil and olive oil contain high levels monounsaturated fats. They help to increase HDL cholesterol levels.
· Fish, sunflower oil, flaxseed oil and green vegetables contain omega 3 fatty acids which help to increase HDL cholesterol levels.
· Soy products like tempeh and tofu also help to increase HDL cholesterol levels.
· Olive oil and canola oil contain monounsaturated fats. They help to increase HDL cholesterol levels.
These are some of the methods by which good cholesterol levels can be increased naturally