- Diet & Weight Loss
How to Lose Weight the Easy and Fun Way
About the Author
Abby Campbell, BSc, SFN, SSN, CPT, is a leading professional fitness and nutrition expert, researcher, and published author of One Size Does NOT Fit All Diet Plan, one of Amazon's Top Gluten-Free and Weight Loss Diets. (You may read more about Abby at the bottom of this article.)
Family Fun Activity
Losing weight doesn't have to be boring. In fact, outdoor fun activities can take the place of the mundane elliptical or recumbent bike, the exhausting track run, or the unexciting and repetitive weightlifting routine. Family fun activity makes losing weight fun. All kinds of games and sports exist where the entire family can get together, exercise, have fun, and lose weight in the process. Besides, it creates memories for the family which will always be cherished by each member. Create those memories by scheduling times for the family to get together. What an hour can do for great memories will also do great for the body. Incorporate games and sports that are age-friendly.
Children love playing the Hide-and-Seek game with others, especially their parents. This is a game that will last many years from toddler to pre-teen ages. Parents or adults can join right in and also get great exercise.
- At least 3 people to play the game.
- A game "base" such as a tree, a rock, or a pole.
Object of Game: The member of the game selected as "It" must find other members of the game as they have hidden.
First Step: One member of the game is selected to be "It." This member closes his eyes and counts to 50 out loud (where everyone can hear) while other members scatter and hide.
Second Step: After "It" finishes counting, he opens his eyes, yells "Ready or not, here I come!" Then he looks for the other members of the game. If he finds a member, that member can run to base for safety. If he is caught by "It" before he reaches base, then he is made to be the next "It." The game restarts from this point for as many times as the members want to continue the game.
Physiological Aspect: Endurance and agility.
Kick Ball Sport
A favorite of most children and teens, this classic sport will get anyone's heart racing. What great exercise for not only them but also for the adult parents!
- Eight people would make a great start for two teams, but less have participated for a great game (o more than 11 people on each team)
- A level outdoor field marked with bases as a baseball diamond (first, second, third, and home)
- A kickball which is made of hard rubber and a little bigger than a basketball
Object: The game is played very similarly to baseball as the members of the sport are split into two teams with at least four members each. One side is the kicking team, while the other side is the pitching team. Like baseball, the team who has the most runs during the game wins.
First Step: Two captains are picked, one for each team. Each captain then takes turn picking members for his team.
Second Step: A decision is made on which team will be the kicking team first. This can be achieved from a head/tail coin toss.
Third Step: The pitching team takes their position in the field, usually one at each base. Some are even positioned in the outfield if available. The kicking team takes its position in a line-up to kick the ball and make the run around the bases.
Fourth Step: Pitcher rolls the ball to the first kicker. Kicker kicks the ball rolled to him.
- The pitching team then tries to catch the ball and get the kicker "out" before he scores a run to home base. They may get the kicker out by either catching the kicked ball while it is still in air, by hitting the kicker with the ball before he reaches one of the bases, or by tagging the base before the kicker reaches it.
- While the pitching team tries to oust the kicker, the kicker makes his way around the bases. He starts at the home plate where he kicked the ball. Then he runs to first, second, third, and back to home. He is safe if he reaches a base before he is ousted by the other team. However, he does score once he reaches the home plate.
- Once a kicking team has three "outs," the teams trade places where the kicking team then becomes the pitching team and vice versa. For formal kick ball sport, a usual 9 innings concludes the game. For informal and fun games, as many innings that want to be played can be played. That can be three innings or 15 innings. The team with the highest number of home runs is the winner.
Physiological Aspect: Endurance, agility, and strength.
Backyard or Sand Volleyball
There are different types of volleyball, including high school or college volleyball sport which is indoors on the hard floor. Though you have probably watched Olympic sand volleyball sport with lots of rules as well. However, volleyball doesn't have to be so stringent when you're playing with family and friends. In fact, it can be great fun and exercise for anyone pre-teen to adult. It can be played in the backyard or at the local park or beach.
- A few people (preferably four)
- Ground measuring about space about 8 meters x 16 meters
- Volleyball net
Objective: Made up of two teams with at least two members on each team, players rally the ball back and forth to each team over the net. The team that misses the ball and allows it to hit the ground is "out." The other team then scores. The team with the highest points at the end of the game wins.
First Step: A team captain is picked for each team who then takes turn selecting members for its team.
Second Step: A team is picked to be the initial serving team. This can be achieved through a head/tail coin toss.
Third Step: The serving team picks a member to serve the ball. The server then serves the ball from behind the out-of-bound lines by tossing the ball in the air and hitting it overhand and over the net to the opposing team. This begins a "rally" where the ball is hit back and forth over the net from team to team. A rally ends when the ball touches the ground.
- The ball must not go "out-of-bounds" which is outside of the 8 meters x 16 meter court. If the ball goes outside of the court area, the team that made the ball go out-of-bounds is penalized while the opposing team gains a "point."
- To get the ball over the net, players must "attack" or "spike" the ball over the net with the ultimate goal of making the opposing team to miss the ball and lose the rally. The attacking team then scores a point.
- A player may also "block" the ball causing the opposing team to miss the ball and lose the rally. The blocking team then scores a point.
- To win a "match," a team must win three "sets." A set is a game within the overall game or match. To win a set, a team must score at least 25 points and be in the lead by two points from the opposing team. If the score is 24-25, the game then continues until the winning team is ahead by two points. A new set then begins. The first team to win three sets is the winner of the match.
Physiological Aspect: Endurance, agility, and strength.
Other Fun Outside Activities
There are many other family fun outside activities to help you lose weight. You just have to use your imagination and go with the flow. Below are some other activities that you may want to check out. Just remember to keep it fun, and losing weight won't seem so tedious.
Fun Outdoor Activities for Kids and Adults
- Game of Hopscotch
- Game of Tag
- Game of Four Square
- Chinese Jump Rope
- Double Dutch Jump Rope
- Red Light, Green Light
- Musical Chairs
- Duck, Duck, Goose
- Freeze Dance
Fun Outdoor Activities for Teenagers and Adults
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Capture the Flag
- Kick the Can
- Paintball Game
- Towel Ball
- Geo Coaching
- Crazy Baseball
Outdoor Fun Activities With Your Spouse or Friends
- Hiking Mountain Trails
- Rock Climbing
- Kayaking Sport
- Horseback Riding
- Water Sports
- Snow Skiing or Tubing
- Team Sports
Tell Us What You Think
You're reading "How to Lose Weight the Fun and Easy Way" by Abby Campbell. Please leave a comment and tell us what you think below. Then share the article with your family and friends. You may even share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest (buttons to your right).
About the author
Abby Campbell, BSc, SFN, SSN, CPT, is a leading professional fitness and nutrition expert, researcher, and published author. For the past 10 years, she has coached thousands of women locally and online to lose body fat and lead healthy lifestyles. Her clients have lost thousands of pounds, reclaimed health, and call her “Coach No Gimmick.” She is from Northern Virginia but now resides near Charlotte, North Carolina. Abby has been married for 20 years and has three grown daughters, one of which is autistic. She is a 19 year cancer survivor.
Get Abby's Book Today!
ONE OF AMAZON'S TOP GLUTEN-FREE DIETS!
Enjoy more of Abby's hubs!
- Fun Ways to Stay Healthy and Active
Staying healthy doesn't have to be a chore. There are many ways to stay healthy and active. Making it fun in the process is what will keep you along this path.
- Healthy Ways to Maintain Your Current Weight
Healthy ways to maintain your current weight include healthy eating habits and exercise. Making your own personalized nutrition and exercise plan is easy and a surefire way to keep fit.