How to Treat Depression with St. John’s Wort
Depression doesn’t choose who to attack and in today’s era, the number of such case is getting higher. You do not even know you are depressed until a psychiatrist will say so. Depression has many levels too depending on the symptoms a person is going through. To treat depression, most patients will approach a psychiatrist and will undergo therapies and medication until they get well.
St. Johns wort is an herb used for many centuries already to treat mental illnesses such as depression. Though, some side effects of the herb may worsen the symptoms of depression, it is still best to consult a professional before taking in such medicine.
In a study in 2009, scientists recommended St. Johns wort to be a better treatment for mild to moderate depression conditions. Other countries like the United States yield negative results but more studies produced positive results thus, other physicians and psychiatrists still prescribe this medication but depending on the patient’s condition.
Benefits of St. Johns Wort Extract
Because of the proven effectiveness of St. Johns wort to treat depression, scientists came up with experiments and turned the herb’s extract into herbal antidepressant capsules. One product gaining customers on Amazon is Whole Vitality’s St. John’s Wort .3% Standardized Hypericin Extract. Some benefits of taking the product are:
- It lessens stress;
- It keeps your mind at peace;
- It helps you get a positive outlook; and
- It treats anxiety disorders;
Users reviewed the product and prove the benefits to be true to them. While users are giving it a positive review, you should also do your part and talk to your psychiatrist first before buying any herbal antidepressants. The manufacturer noted that these extract of St. Johns wort may contradict with some prescription drugs so do not take in without getting a professional’s opinion first.
Some Important Things to Consider Before Taking Herbal Antidepressant
- Do not use this product to replace a medication already prescribed to you by your psychiatrist. If you are a first time user and you “think” you are depressed, the first thing to do is to approach a professional first.
- Do not be the doctor of your own self. Mental illnesses should not be taken as a joke because all medications need proper prescription. You might get yourself more depressed if you take such medicine incorrectly.
- Do not take in any medicine without a doctor’s prescription if you are pregnant or a nursing mother as it might harm not only you but also your baby.
Other Ways to Treat Depression
There are many causes of depression which might trigger your emotional well-being from time to time. If you are pregnant or a nursing mother, you can do this list of some all-natural antidepressants:
- Have a regular exercise
- Create a journal where you can write all your emotional sentiments
- Enroll for Yoga classes according to your needs
- Eat a healthier diet probably with more omega 3 in it
- Have a meditation exercise
- Join support groups
- Go to church
I hope this article has helped and if it does, kindly leave your comments and other recommendations below. Thank you again for dropping by.