- Alternative & Natural Medicine
How To Cure A Sinus Headache With Reflexology
Reflexology is an ancient therapy that has gained mainstream credibility in recent years and can be used to cure a range of symptoms including headaches, migraines, stress and physical strains among others.
The therapy involves stimulating certain points in the hands and feet that are said to be linked to vital organs around the body such as the brain, heart, lungs, kidneys, livers and others. Most people report feeling better after receiving reflexology treatment - and the system is even used by the National Health Service (NHS) in the United Kingdom.
This article will show a very quick and easy reflexology exercise that be used on the feet in order to provide pain relief from a sinus headache.
The reflexology points for sinuses
As was mentioned above, reflexology is the health system based around points in the feet and hands corresponding to major organs. If you haven't already, please see the article with free foot and hand reflexology charts to locate the exact points.
The area of the feet that is linked to the sinuses is on the tips of the second, third, fourth and fifth toes - that's the one next to big toe all the way down to the little toe. The tip is directly on the top - the soft fleshy part that points forward, not the ball part that touches the ground and not the nail on the top, but the actual tips of the toes. See the image below to get exactly where the reflexology points for sinuses are in the toes.
Reflexology technique for sinus headaches
All foot massages should begin by loosening the tension in the muscles. This will make targeting the sinus regions much more effective.
- Gently massage the whole foot with broad but firm motions with the whole hand from the heel all the way to the toes
- Use a small squirt of oil to make the motion easier. For particularly tense feet use herbal balm with heating qualities such as this one.
- Stretch the ankle gently but firmly in all directions. Grasp the foot at the ankle and stretch, forward, backwards and to each side.
Tip! Work through the pain
Sometimes there will be areas of tension and knots that are sore to the touch during the toe massage for sinus headache relief. Work through the pain... and apply pressure to the area until the knots have been softened and removed. It will work wonders in the long run!
Now focus on the toes
The foot and the person should now be more relaxed and ready for targeted reflexology.
- Pinch the base of the second toe, and massage upwards to the tip. Repeat this five times
- Hold the tip of the toe and pull gently from the socket. Sometimes there will be a click.
- Press the ball of the tip of the toe firmly. Hold for five seconds and release. Repeat this motion three times in total
- Support the toe and keep upright with the left fingers, while using the right thumb or knuckle to press directly into the tip of toe as shown in the image above. Hold in firmly for five seconds. Repeat this three times in total
- Repeat each of the above techniques on the third, fourth and fifth toes.
What remedies have you used before for sinus headaches?
Using a Thai massage stick for foot reflexology
Sometimes hands and fingers are not enough to get to the exact reflexology point. For this, a Thai massage stick can be the most effective. The small handmade wooden tools have been used in Thailand for centuries when giving foot massages. They allow the masseuse to focus their energy onto reflexology points through the small wooden device. What's more, they also prevent the hands and fingers of the person giving the treatment from becoming stiff.
To use a stick carry out the same exercises and techniques as above but instead of using the thumb, or knuckle to apply pressure, grip the stick and use the point of it instead.
An extra technique to use with the stick when targeting the toes for sinus problems, is to run the stick down the insides of the toes. This stimulates the nerves in places that don't normally get touched, and so helps circulation in the area and in turn, the points that are linked to the sinuses.
This is one of the best sites for low price and high quality Thai reflexology sticks and other handmade wooden massage tools.
Reflexology techniques can be incredibly effective for a range of ailments and symptoms, and especially so for sinuses problems and headaches. They're a great alternative health therapy as no tablets or medication is needed. And the best part is that they can be done entirely by one person. There's no need to visit a therapist or wait for a friend, partner or relative to help - it can be all 100% DIY!
So if you're suffering with a sinus headache, try foot reflexology exercises to relive the pain.
© 2015 Rickrideshorses