How to Have Glowing Skin at Any Age
Let’s face it, we all want to have vibrant, wrinkle free, radiant faces. In reality, however, we have to accept the inevitable appearance of lines and wrinkles at some point in our lives. The only wise thing to do is to learn how to accept and even love them. They are the signs of our life experiences, they show that we lived and laughed and smiled and cried. Besides, wrinkles are not nearly as ageing as tired-looking, dull skin or skin overloaded with makeup.
The good news is that with proper skincare we can keep our skin healthy, even young looking, for the rest of our lives! There so many ways to achieve this end but below you will find some of the best advice on how to do it.
You’re never too old to become younger
We are all aware of how important a comfortable pillow is for a good restful sleep. However, not everyone knows that having a comfortable pillow case is just as important for your face to look rested and fresh.
When we bury our faces in a pillow, it puts pressure on our skin, which reduces blood circulation. It causes wear and tear, which over time breaks down skin collagen and causes lines and wrinkles. The best way to minimise the friction on the facial skin is to sleep on either silk/satin or high thread-count cotton pillow case.
As for the pillow contents, feather and down pillows are the best for our purposes since they give us good support and adjustability and decrease pressure points, helping with facial blood circulation.
Best sleeping position
Aren’t we all dreaming about waking up with a smooth, crease-free face? The best way to achieve this is to sleep on our backs. This is bad news for people who like sleeping curled up on their sides, but this very position creates wrinkles on the side of their face where the skin is at its thinnest.
The importance of drinking
Don't be too hopeful, the following advice doesn't encourage you to drink alcohol, it is about water drinking, plain or mineral (at least you get a choice here). One has to drink at least 6 glasses of water a day to keep skin (and body) fully hydrated and young-looking. You can add some fresh lemon juice in your glass of water for an energising and detoxifying effect. You will do yourself a big favour if you acquire a habit of drinking a cup of hot (but not boiling) water with some added lemon juice first thing in the morning. It’s great for your metabolism, and also cleanses your liver and stomach, all the while providing you with an excellent source of vitamin C, too!
- It is easy to learn and enjoyable to do.
- It improves lymph and circulation flow, resulting in clearing the toxins from your face and stimulating collagen production.
- If you massage your face daily, the skin will regain its natural structure.
- While we are sleeping, our skin is not. On the contrary, it leads a rather active life!
- During the night, our skin is dealing with various body waste products such as dead skins cells, excess oil and perspiration.
- To help our skin get the job done even better, rid your face of all that gunk with a quality cleanser suitable for your skin type.
- With age, the skin on our face gets thinner and drier and this leads to the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- As a result, our skin needs extra protection and lots of moisturising, especially when exposed to cold weather.
- A good routine to follow is to apply a serum twice a day. This is a light moisturiser with a smaller molecular structure in order to penetrate the skin's epidermis at a deeper level, delivering active ingredients into the treated areas.
- Serums should be followed by skin moisturisers suitable for your skin type to double the effect.
- Apply this for a week and you will see the benefits of this treatment - your skin will look toned and radiant!
To encourage the renewal of skin cells we must use exfoliating scrubs once a week, but care has to be taken on older skin since it becomes thin and vulnerable to scratching with age.
Follow the principles outlined below and you will have smooth, healthy-looking skin for longer.
1. Always exfoliate on damp skin.
2. Gently rub the exfoliator in a circular motion for a duration of up to 2 minutes.
3. Only use scrubs designed for your age group, mature skin requires smooth, spherical grains that don't irritate or scratch the epidermis.
“Nature gives you the face you have at twenty. Life shapes the face you have at thirty. But at fifty you get the face you deserve.”
Tender is the night
- Finally, there's one last thing to do at the very end of the day.
- Make it a habit to remove any makeup thoroughly before going to sleep.
- Makeup clogs up the pores of your skin, stopping it from breathing, leading to all sorts of unpleasantness that you certainly don't want to see on your face. (Such as blemishes and blackheads-brrr).
Stay calm and apply your night cream
- You can double the nourishing effect of your night cream by taking five to seven deep breaths before applying it to your skin.
- It will boost the level of oxygen to the skin and improve moisturising affect and absorption of the nutrients from your cream.