How To Stick To Your Workout Plan
Exercise is good for your health.
We read everywhere that exercise is a requirement to good health. Everyone knows this.
More and more people are exercising nowadays, which is great, but there are still a lot of people who do not workout.
I used to exercise religiously when I was younger, after stopping for a few years, getting started again was difficult. For me, there were two main issues when it came to exercise. The first was to begin . If you do not already have a workout schedule and you decide to set a date and time for your workout, it seem that something always comes up and gets in the way of your plan.
The second thing is, sticking to the workout. When I would eventually start my work out, it would last for about a month or so, before I would get bored with it and miss a couple of sessions at the gym,
It's a downhill slope from there.
Spending money on exercise equipment.
I decided to get a cross trainer, so as to be able to exercise without leaving my home. I figured spending money on state of the art equipment would encourage me to use it. Ha! Was I wrong. The equipment is pretty much collecting dust in my house.
So what do we do? how do we ensure that we will stick with our exercise regime? what is the secret? Well This is what worked for me.There are some tips that will make it easier to start working out and to stick with it.
Horizon Fitness EX-59 Elliptical Trainer
Making a decision to workout
1. First you have to decide that you are going to workout. Whether its for health reasons, losing weight, wanting more energy or just to be more fit.
I don't know if you noticed this, but you can tell if a person is fit by the way they walk.
A fit person is light on their feet, they have a spring to their step, its as if they have energy to spare. Unlike people who don't do any exercise, at the end of the day their energy is drained.
Make up your mind, why you want to exercise and set yourself little goals, you have to be realistic about your goals, do not expect any drastic changes in a short period of time. Improvements with continuous exercise ( no matter what kind ) is guaranteed. Baby steps is the key.
Have a plan
2. Starting your workout plan.Decide on a date that you plan to start. Make sure that you have the time on that day to exercise and do NOT deviate from your plan.
Dumbbells with chin up bar
P90X DVD Workout
Find something you like
3. It is very important that you take as much time as you need, to find a work out that you like.
Walk, swim, cycle, carry weights , yoga, run, whatever. Try everything until you find something that you enjoy doing.
I was trying to get my mother to exercise, she is very active, always doing something, but she had not done any cardiovascular exercises before. She thought of it as a wast of time.
I tried to get her to go to the gym, but that didn't work. I got her aerobic videos, she wasn't interested. I asked to go for walks, she said it was boring. I got her five different yoga videos, she didn't like any of them, finally I bought a few yoga core workout videos for her, which I was expecting her to reject, to my surprise she liked one of the core workouts and started doing it daily without any prompting from me. She just really liked that particular workout. Now she says that she sometimes goes for yoga classes, but most of the time she finds it more convenient to workout at home.
So don't give up, there is an exercise out there that you will enjoy doing, and that will help you stick with it. If you force yourself to do something you really don't like, it is very unlikely
that you will do it for long.
I am no expert, but for me, I think that there is no point, trying to do sit-ups to get rid of your belly fat, when you hate doing sit ups, why not swim instead or walk or do any other exercise that you might enjoy.
After a few months when you get overall slimmer and stronger try doing some sit-ups.
You will be surprised at how much easier it will be.
Music is important
4. Make a play list of your favorite songs for the length of time you plan to workout, it will save you from having to look at the watch to let you know when your workout time is up. ( In case you are like me and have a schedule that you need to stick to ).
Omron HJ-112 Pocket Pedometer
Make it a habit
5. Whatever exercise you decide to do, even if its just walking, make it a habit and eventually you too will have a spring in your step and energy to spare.
Looking forward to my workout
As for me, I stopped delaying the inevitable and started working out. I look forward to my workout now. I found that I was more of a core workout and weights guy. Not so much into cycling, running or working out on a cross trainer, which are the exercises that most of my friends enjoy. I'm sticking to the Workout that I like
Have you stuck to your workout plan?
Some of the Benefits of working out.
1. Helps reduce stress ( Great stress reliever )
2. Working out Boosts your energy level
3. Improves Strength and overall fitness
4. Helps maintain your desired body weight, ( you will look good :)
5. Strengthens your immune system and helps prevent medical problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and obesity
6. Improves Bone density thus preventing osteoporosis
7. Improves mental acuteness
8. Improves Sexual Performance ( you will be able to keep going like an energizer bunny :)
© 2013 ketage