- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
How to treat allergies effectively
We all at some point of our time have suffered from allergies. In medical terms allergy is abnormal reaction of our immune system in response to a normally harmless object. Almost any object may act as an allergen e.g. pollens, dust, molds, certain food products like peanuts, milk, eggs, etc. When the allergen enters the body it triggers antibody response, these antibodies come in contact with the allergen and produce chemical substance known as histamines. Histamine is responsible for swelling and irritation of the affected area. The symptoms may vary from sneezing, coughing, running nose, shortness of breath, itchy skin, vomiting, etc.
The very first step in fighting against any allergy is to reduce the exposure of allergens. Most of the allergic reactions are non-threatening however in some cases the reaction may be severe. Every person's reaction to allergens is different. There are few home remedies which help in treating allergies effectively. It is very important to know the cause of your allergy before you look for home remedies. These remedies are helpful in managing and treating the signs and symptoms of allergies.
1. Water – Drinking a lot of water will help in excreting the undesirable substance from the body.
2.Eliminate dairy products from your diet – Dairy product thickens and stimulates the production of mucus.
3. Reduce cooked fats – when the body is under any stress the digestive system weakens. Undigested fats will result in increased mucus production.
4. Eat food rich in Omega 3 fatty acids – Omega 3 helps fight inflammation.
5. Green Tea – very helpful for skin allergies. Drinking a cup of green tea daily helps in reducing the histamines. Rub a soaked tea bag on the affected area it will help in reducing the inflammation and irritation of the skin.
6. Quercetin – it is natural anti-histamine which is helpful in alleviating the allergic reactions. Foods rich in quercetin are Apples, onions, broccoli, and tomatoes.
7.Honey – Eating raw honey helps in alleviating the pollen allergy symptoms. It contains enzymes which reduce the anti-body production.
8. Ginger – reduces histamines production
9. Castor oil – during severe allergy season drinking 3-4 drops of castor oil mixed in juice helps in alleviating the allergy symptoms.
10. Lime juice mixed in lukewarm water with honey helps in building immunity against allergens.
Besides the above mentioned remedies yoga is also recommended for fighting against the allergies. Pranayama is the best for treating allergies. Yoga helps in strengthening the immune system of your body. People involved in regular yoga exercises are enjoy the benefits of healthy immune system.