Human Emotions are Directly Linked to Human Mental Health
Human Mental Health
If considering not biological but socio-psychological understanding of the disease, it can be seen as a mental breakdown, mental disadaptation, disintegration of personality, human emotions, attitudes, psychosomatic disintegration.
An outstanding pathologist Hans Selye considered illness exclusively as a pathological stress or distress.
Negative emotions (envy, fear, etc.) have huge destructive power, positive emotions (laughter, joy, love, a sense of gratitude, etc.) remain health, contributed to the success and extension of life.
Negative emotions are detrimental to the body: anger affects liver and small intestine, the fear leaves its negative impact on kidney and large intestine. The combination of emotions in the relation with unawareness and awareness is nothing but feelings, which lead to health either good or bad.
Thoughts are in line with emotion creating a certain unity. Angry person has angry thoughts. If a person is taken by a fear other emotions get blocked and only fear in the mind. Unpleasant thoughts push the human on ways to ill health.
Emotions define our mood – not as mach as the emotions themselves, but make our emotional state more stable. Sad, disturbing, peaceful, solemn and joyful mood is not the subjective or specially designed but personal and effective background of the emotional state. Sensual mood often forms the basis of vital energy, ie the general condition of the body or well-being. Even the most joyful mood goes bad – because of fatigue, headaches, energy depletion. Therefore, good physical shape and perfect physical health is the foundation of the wonderful mood and positive emotions.
Effective recovery is impossible without the achievement of mental health. A person with a depleted nervous system is experiencing spiritual and physical fatigue. He is trying to stimulate himself with will power then fights fatigue by harmful stimulants like tea, coffee and alcohol.
Is it possible to prevent such a “gray” life?
Not only can, but you need!
This requires following:
1. take control of your mood;
2. reduce your sensitivity to words of others;
3. try to permanently end the hatred, bitterness, envy, which like nothing else weaken nervous system;
4. part with all the concerns;
5. not to take any blows of fate with indifference, do not tolerate the poverty and do not waste time;
6. do not complain to others trying to raise their sympathy and pity;
7. do not try to transform others around you;
8. do not build grandiose future plans;
9. turn strengthening of viability and health in the real prospect and every day be delighted of big or small success of your achievement.
There is a great book of American writer Paula Garb "Oldest People". In which she opens the secrets of longevity:
- Older people, including over 90 years, daily talk with relatives and close neighbors, at least once a week meet with their friends. The objective of general discussions of youth and middle age with the elderly is to get advice on the important issues of daily life;
- Elderly people in Abkhazia enjoyed great respect, which builds in them a feeling of dignity;
- Desire to be healthy, not to complain about the disease, lack of interest in the disease;
- Elderly people of Abkhazia have no signs of depression;
- Elderly people of Abkhazia have no loneliness – they feel a day care from relatives and neighbors. All are convinced that the best medicine is love and caring of others;
- Diversity of interests, the desire to live full lives;
- These are people with a good sense of humor and a desire to be always surrounded by other people;
- Elderly are well looked after. It is a natural expression of the philosophy of life;
- Friendly and welcoming attitude to people of other nationalities;
- Oldest people tend to perceive everything that happens in their lives as the result of their own actions rather than any external forces. It also refers to the ability to overcome life’s stresses. Oldest people are often a person who takes responsibility for everything that happens to them. They feel responsible for their own destinies;
- In Abkhazia there is no elderly who spoke about old age negatively.
Thus, the road to a healthy old age and active longevity is a moral and spiritual transformation of each of us to follow the eternal ideals of truth and goodness.
What is wisdom?
In China if a person wants to make a compliment they say that you seem much older than your years. We have different attitude to the fall of human life precisely reflected by widespread expression: Old age – no joy. Indeed, the older the person becomes, the more inevitable that illnesses come. But is the gloomy change in our body inevitably predetermined by nature? Is it true that age gives nothing to a person, other than fatigue and "senile dementia"?
Elhonon Goldberg, a student of famous Russian neuropsychologist A. Luria, managed to prove that it is not. In his sensational book, "The paradox of wisdom", he writes that the brain, and hence the mental capacities of older people have a number of advantages compared to young brains. The main property of the brain of elderly people is well known: the elderly throughout the centuries attributed the quality which is called wisdom. It turns out that wisdom is not a metaphor made in a consolation to those who can no longer possess a tenacious memory and seriousness of mind, but a physical reality.
Research work of E. Goldberg has shown that knowledge and the impression gained by man over the life course, over time, moving from quantity to quality. Despite the decline in old age of the ability of intense mental thinking a person acquires the ability to reach important decisions without difficulty, through intuition. Unlike the young man old man sees the situation as a whole. The internal relationship of these phenomena opens to elderly person by means of insight.
Before E. Goldberg yet nobody has been able to penetrate the mystery of human wisdom, and to demonstrate that wisdom is the quality that can be experimentally studied and described with scientific language. In his popular book, the scientist is drawn not only to medical data, but also attracts a large cultural material, citing numerous examples of excellent work of the brain in old age. Extremely useful are advices of the author on how to preserve and multiply capabilities of your brain.
The opening made by E. Goldberg is good news for those who are not going to give to the time, who wants not only to preserve the vital activity in old age but also to strengthen it using their experience and competence.