"I Can't Sleep" 3 Natural Cures For Every Insomnia Type
My husband has always had problems getting to sleep at night and he would lay there for hours upon hours.
I always wanted to help him, but never knew what to do.
The other day while watching The Dr.Oz Show I learned these 3 naturals cures for all types of insomnia shared from Dr. Michale Bruce.
I am excited to try them with my husband and share them with you so you can start getting a more restful sleep at night.
So let's get started.
Before We Start.......
What type are you?
Natural Cure For Insomnia Type "Can't Fall Asleep"
If you find yourself not being able to fall asleep at night Dr. Michale Bruce recommends using Pink Noise.
Pink Noise is similar to white noise. Studies show that it's easier to listen to then white noise and helps ease the brain by releasing alpha waves that allow people to drift off to sleep.
It sounds similar to a light rainstorm and is very relaxing.
%75 of people who listen to this Pink Noise have a more restful night sleep.
A consumer report has shown that sound machines work better for some people then prescription medication.
You can download a free Pink Noise app right to your phone
- Play pink noise app once in bed with lights off
- Set a timer to shut off app after 20 - 30 minutes
You can download the app right here (don't click on the link yet because it will not open a new window and you will lose this page)
Natural Cure For Insomina Type "Wide Awake In The Night"
If you find yourself wide awake in the middle of the night try Banana Tea.
Banana's are full of magnesium which calms the nerves and gives a more restful sleep
- Cut off the end and top of a banana
- Keep the peel on and place into boiling water
- Boil banana with the peel for 10 minutes
- Take the banana out and use the water as tea
Drink the tea 1 hour before bed. Or if you prefer you can eat the boiled banana skin and inside 1 hour before bed.
Sprinkle a little cinnamon on the banana to make it a sweet treat.
Natural Cure For Insomnia Type "Wake Up Too Early"
Often times people who wake up early have altered sarcadia rhythm.
Light therapy is recommended for this type of insomnia.
Use the light in the early evening say around 7 pm for about an hour. This tells the body that it's not time to shout down yet and will be more prepared to fall as sleep later in the night say around 10 or 11 pm.
After you use the light therapy in the evening you will want to make sure that you do not expose yourself to bright lights.
Dr.Oz recommends that you use LED light bulbs in your bedroom lamps because they are a softer lighting.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
If none of these natural cures work for you it could be because you have Obsructive Sleep Apnea which is a serious medical condition in which airways collapse during sleep, interrupting breathing and waking people up. But not everyone with OSA realizes they aren't sleeping well; they may simply notice that they feel exhausted most of the time.
OSA can be checked by going to a sleep clinic however there are a few tests you can do at home.
Here are 2 tests you can do at home to see if you are at risk of having OSA.
The Snore Test
Tilt your head back, relax the muscles in your throat and breath in through your mouth. If you make a noise while your breathing you may be at risk of OSA.
The Choke Test
Women with a neck circumference of 16.5 may be at risk of OSA. Using your index fingers and thumbs, try wrapping your hands around your neck (as if you are choking yourself – but don't squeeze!). If your fingers can't touch, you could be at risk.
I found these tests on the Dr. Oz website.
More Tips For A Good Night Sleep
I hope that in this article you have found a solution and will start getting a better nights sleep.
Before you go I want to share with you a few tips to help you and your loved ones have a good night sleep.
- No caffeine after 2 pm. This includes pop and caffeinated tea.
- Minimize your alcohol intake. After the alcohols effect wears off it will interupt your sleep. Ever notice after drinking you are wide awake in the middle of the night? I know I have!
- List your worries - If your mind is always going write everything down in a notebook. It's a great way to release your mind of things that are worrying you or ideas that you may have while you are resting
- Turn out all lights - this includes lap tops, cell phones, tv's. All these can have an effect on your bodies ability to produce melatonin
- Drink a glass of nighty night tea which is made of herbs like chamomile which has a calming effect on the body.
- Keep your room cold.
Was this article helpful? Please take a moment to rate it, leave a comment below and share it with someone you feel it would help.
For more health and fitness tips visit me on Facebook: Living Healthy In A Toxic World