Jogging to Keep Yourself Fit, Strong, and Healthy
Introduction to slow Jogging
Jogging is a slow, leisurely, and "gentle pace" run. Compared with the dash, jogging is slowest. The slow, short, walking like steps and side-by-side pacing give jogging balance, and stability.
Have you ever seen a jogging competition? And, if ever it happened, I bet the last jogger is the winner!
I dare to say some persons do not know that slow jogging exercise can help prevent many ill-health, associated with a sedentary life This prompt me to write this article. Jogging for weight loss can reduce your blood pressure. Long, slow distance jogging can prevent osteoporosis when the bones subject to limited stress.
You can jog with a partner. You both can talk about current events while jogging. You discuss, argued and laugh while on the trot. Jogging will give you funny when you go slowly and leisurely. This will make the bones, joints, and muscles fit, strong and healthy.
Wikipedia, says it increases physical fitness and good for aerobic endurance training.
Diseases like prostate and breast cancer in both men and women will be checked. Both your aerobic and cardio fitness becomes stronger.
Your immune system develops and becomes strong to ward off a virus attack, especially, the common cold virus.
Hence, you become fitter, stronger and healthier!
It is good that food is taken highly into consideration. Not just to give energy but to nourish the bones and muscles.
A fat person should drink a dilute glass of real lime or lemon juice before jogging. This helps the body to burn fats more quickly.
The best time to jog is early morning when the air is fresh.
Drink Real Fruit Juice Before You Jog
Increase and Improve Your Jogging Experience for Maximum Health
"We confirmed there is irrefutable evidence of the effectiveness of regular physical activity in the primary and secondary prevention of several chronic diseases e.g cardiovascular diseases,...cancer...a further increase in physical activity and fitness will lead to additional improvement in health status."- Abstract from Health benefits of physical activity: the evidence, by D.E.R. Warburton & others
A Brief History of Jogging
Jogging is mostly known as "road work" initially among boxing enthusiasts. It was popularized by Arthur Lydiard, a retired Olympic coach.
The idea then was to run for "fitness and sociality" among retired Olympic runners. Joggers idealized "fitness, weight loss, grace, physical fulfillment and relief from stress." You never can tell all that trotting can do for the soul, mind, and body.
With the publication of the book "Jogging", by Bill Bowerman in 1966, the paste time began to get popular starting from the United States. Jogging had its origin in New Zealand.
Nowadays, it is apply to all sporting activity as a warming up and cooling down effort.
Jogging to keep Fit
1. Take small walk-like steps.
2. Keep the back straight.
3. Relax the shoulders for the arm to swing naturally.
4. Breathe naturally, and raise chin and look ahead.
5. Land on the forefoot and do not kick the ground.
6. Wear bright clothing.
10 Best Health Benefits of Jogging
Jogging benefits you in the following ways:
- Jogging increases the lifespan and decreases aging, says Wikipedia, quoting a medical authority.
- Jogging 2 to 3 times or 5 times in the week will contain the certain illness, e.g. cancer.
- Jogging will lower your blood pressure.
- It will enhance your immune system.
- Jogging keeps the body fit, strong and healthily.
- It improves your mental state and so, improve your mood.
- The food you eat will be well digested and absorbed.
- You will sleep better. Stress and tension are reduced.
- Jogging enhanced and improved the circulatory system. Blood flow along with digested food nutrient, enzymes, hormones and mineral matters into the bloodstream.
- Your bones will become healthier and stronger.
Jogging Makes Your Bones Stronger
Jog To Extend Your Lifespan
Eat Something Rich in Glucose and Protein Before You Jog
Before I jog a mile, I always eat something rich in protein and glucose. Then I rest for 2 hours. Otherwise, nausea and cramping are resulting. Also, after 30 minutes of jogging, the joint and muscles will ask for protein nutrients in the form of absorb-able amino acids.
I eat complex carbohydrates nuts, seeds, legumes, fruits, and vegetables. I eat quality fish, eggs, red and lean meats, and milk.
For a short jog, I eat dates or chew a sugarcane, suck oranges, wash down with a glass of water. Fruits like dried dates, fresh oranges; and stem, like sugarcanes are the energy booster for the muscles during exercise. Fresh coconut meat, milk, meat and fish can be eaten along with these fruits, nuts and seeds. A boxers diet is not necessary here.
Alternately, I take two glasses of water 140ml. delute with fresh lime or lemon. Water is food.
Do eat something always an hour or two before jogging. But do not take a heavy meal. If you eat much, you will be putting your body in trouble.
Replaced lost energy
During any exercise activities, energy is being spent. Many tears are going on in the muscles, joints, and bones.
The energies had to be replaced. The tears had to be made good with food nutrients rich in proteins in the form of amino acid.
Whether you are just stretching, jogging, or sporting, think food to eat first.
Eat a Balanced Meal After Jogging
You should eat a balanced meal rich in organic matters. Combined and eat quality fruits, vegetables, protein, fats and oils, and carbohydrates (carbs).
During jogging, energy is expended. And, some tears are going on in the body. These ‘tears’ had to be replaced with rich nutrients specific proteins in the form of amino acids.
So eat quality proteins. Balanced your meals with organic fruits, vegetables, soya bean, quinoa, fish, eggs, and milk. Eat lean and fat meat. Eat butter, eggs, chicken, cheese, and yogurt. Eat nuts, seeds, herbs, roots, and spices. As a regular weekly jogger, eat 2 to 3 avocado pears in the week.
Vitamin C should come especially, from citrus fruits, lime, and lemons among the fruits to eat. Vitamin C helps muscles and bone development.
Fresh coconut cake should form a part of your weekly meal. Gone are the days when coconut oil is disputed as bad saturated fat. Its good cholesterol content is essential for heart and muscle health. Likewise, eat eggs and butter with good cholesterol.
Milk is essential to bone growth and development due to its calcium content. But, too much calcium in the bloodstream prevents vital food nutrients amino acid, fatty acid, vitamins and mineral matters from being absorbed. Green leafy vegetables contain calcium in a safer chi late form that is easy to absorb.
Vegetarians are one of the people with strong bones. They got all they proteins and calcium from nuts, seeds, legumes, fruits and vegetables, roots and herbs. They combined all these ingredients to make a terrific balanced meal!
A Balanced Meal
Let Your Mind Be Known
Should you eat something before and after a jogging regime?
Invest In a Good Jogging Costumes
Invest in a good running jersey and running shoe. At most, $160 will go for shoe, socks, and jersey.
You will find useful information on the cost of running shoes if you are buying online. Your local sports shop is able to help you with better running costumes. Your running shoes should support your body, not just your legs from injuries. Cushioning and support are what you must consider must in a running shoe
A large body needs more cushioning and support than a small body. It is also opined that if your arch is high, your foot is less flexible, and requires a low support.
Big body with small arch needs a bigger cushioning and support.
Wear simple, loss and bright running clothes. Seek for comfort in these.
Wear a Good Clothe for Jogging
Preparation for Joggers
All sporting events required you warm up before and cool down after. This lubricated the joints and muscles and raised the body temperature. Though this is still controversial.
Each stretching exercise will take you 30 seconds and rest for 10 seconds. Choose 5 stretching exercises to execute before jogging if you care.
- Deep breathing. begin with deep breathing. Deep breathing ensured carbon dioxide is exchanged with free and fresh oxygen. Breathe in deeply, and then breathe out slowly.
- Brisk walking. walking is a dynamic stretching exercise. Walk from one point “A” to another “B” and back to point “A.” Walking stretches the hamstring leg muscles. Remember you are about to jog. If you can’t walk, you can’t jog, right? During your normal jogging session, you will activate ‘walking’ into jogging to “conditioned” and adjusted your body. Breathe in and out as you walk.
- Statics marching: begin to match like a Boys Scout or a Boys Brigade. Left-right; left right; while stationary. Again, it brings the legs’ hamstring muscles into activation.
- Jog: take a brisk leisurely jog from point A to point B and back to point A. Do not hold your breath. Breathe in and out. Take a brief dash for 5 seconds. Be careful of falling.
- Do the dynamic push-ups and downs: push-ups target your core, shoulders, and arms muscles, and joints. The chest, lungs, and heart are not left out. Do a minimum of 7 to10 repetitions. Breathe in and out during each pushup and down.
- Do the isometrics high plank: this exercise also targets and further improves the core, chest, arms, and shoulder. Push up and hold for 60 seconds.
- Rope skipping: it brings the whole body muscles into harmony.
- Jumping Jack, trims your figure of excessive fat and keeps you fit and energetic.
- High knee: jog stationary and bring the knee below or near to the chest level.
- Buttock kick: jog and bring the heel of the foot to touch your butt.
- One leg stands: stand on one leg with your hands by the side while raising the other leg to waist level. Release and stand on the opposite leg. Do 3 to 4 repetitions.
- Neck stretch: breathe in turn the head to the right side of the body. Breathe out and return to the starting point. Repeat on the left side. Do 4 repetitions. Another neck stretch is this: tilt the head back toward the shoulder as you breathe in; breathe out slowly and bring the chin to the chest. Watch the video below for more dynamic stretching/warming-up exercises.
Warming Ups are Vital Stretching Exercises Before Jogging
Now Go Jogging
You have executed some stretching/warming-up exercises. Now go jogging. You are alone or, with a partner or teammates. You will meet people out there rambling on. Jog briskly, but go slowly and leisurely. Slow and steady wins the race.
If you have never jog before, concentrate on doing the preparatory stretching exercises for three to four weeks. As you progress, take a brisk walking exercise for between 80 to100 yards. Congratulations on this feat!
Now, check yourself. Are you tired and exhausted? Can you walk 50 yards extra and back? If you answer the two questions "no" and "yes", both your aerobic and cardio fitness is not questioned. Go jog ¼ of a mile and back.
Jog slowly and leisurely for 5 minutes. Take a fast dash for 5 seconds. Then walk for 1 minutes, and resume jogging slowly. These three tricks, dash, walking and then jogging ‘adjusted’ the body efficiently.
You should not linger to take some rest and fresh air. Should that happen, then you are not aerobic and cardio fitness. Just go back and do the preparatory stage for four weeks, especially that of walking. After that, you can jog for 35 to 45 minutes.
The minimum jogging time for any jogging work-out is 45 minutes for a distance of less than half a mile. For a distance of at least a mile is 1 hour 35 minutes.
If you jog every day, jog from 5 to10 minutes.
Jog for Fitness
Slow Jogging Benefits More than Fast Jogging
Recover Your Muscles and Joints After Jogging
After a slow jogging, recover in the following ways.
- Take a short slow walk 20 yards.
- Do the jumping jack slowly and then briskly for 20 seconds.
- Do the pushups and down 7 repetitions 20 seconds.
- Do the low plank and high plank 20 seconds each.
- Take on the Cobra stretch 3 repetitions 15 seconds.
- If there is a river nearby, dive in and have a swim for 5 minutes.
- On the river, do the back float, not back-stoke 5 minutes.
The back float will release all remaining tensions in the body. They just sunk down into the bottom of the river.
Besides these recovery sessions on the day you jog, take out a whole week at the end of the month to rest. Do not do any jogging or stretching exercise not even once. You have to rest from all type of exercise. It helps in developing your joints and muscles further.
Eat Small Portions of Meals After Jogging
Many do not know how to eat right. Though they eat the best meals.
Divide your meal into six or eight small rations.
Let’s say your breakfast after jogging is at 7.00am. Your repast menu should then take the below schedule.
- 7.00am: a highly balanced meal of fruits and vegetable, fish, red and lean meat; or eggs, milk and chicken, butter or cheese, whole wheat bread, yam, rice, bean (any type), quinoa, nuts, and seeds.
- 9.00am: a snack of fresh fruits-lime, orange, pawpaw, cucumber
- 11.00am: 2 slice of buttered bread with a cup of tea and milk.
- 1.00pm: (launch)-sweet melon, boys berry, and rice with meat or fish stew.
- 4.00pm have a snack of various fresh fruits like a rainbow.
- 6.00pm: another snack of fried fish or steak meat, or fried chicken with sweet wine.
- 8.00pm: a cup of warm cocoa with milk and buttered biscuits plus a handful of ground nuts.
- 10.30pm: super. Eat your favorite super.
The rations should be small 50g to 70g. depending on your body mass index. Stuffing and bloating your belly with 3 or 4 big meals will do you no good. The smaller the portions, the better the digestion, and the better the digested food are absorbed. These smaller rations will make you gain muscular weight.
Lists of Foodstuffs
Pawpaw, guava, sweet melon, sweet orange.
Lime, lemon, grape fruit, water melon, cucumber.
Brown soya bean, quinoa, shrimp, milk, lean meat, chicken,
Ground nuts, avocado,cashew nuts.
Fats and oils
Egg yolk, red meat, cheese, butter.
Corn oil, coconut oil, ground nut oil, avocado.
Whole wheat bread, biscuits and floors, brown rice,
Sweet potatoes,yam, coco yam, tapioca,
Good And Nutritious Meals Are Essential After Jogging
A Balanced Meal for Jogger
Here is a good example of a balanced meal for a person weighing 60kg.
- Vegetables (greens, roots,)………………………………................…100g.
- Protein (lean meat, fish, soy or legumes, nuts, and seeds)……………65g.
- Fats and oils (red meat, eggs, milk, peanuts, walnuts)…….….……….30g.
- Carbohydrates (rice, yam, sweet potatoes, tapioca)………………….100g.
1g carb and proteins give 4 calories each. 1g fat is 9 calories. Then, the energy value of the above food is 1430 calories.
Such a meal is good for breakfast after you jog.
Balanced Meal Has all it takes to Nourish The Body
Priority Of Foodstuff
The foods we eat come from carbs, fats, and oils, proteins, fruits, and vegetables. It is on this trend that majority of people based their nutritional needs. First carbs, then fats and oils, and protein. Is it any wonder that people become more obese?
Turn the list upside down as in the table above. Put fruits and vegetables first. This is to be followed by proteins, fats and oils, and carbs. Fruits and vegetables contain carbs. Simple and complex that is easier to absorb into the bloodstream.
Conclusion: Jogging is an Exercise for Life And Fun
Slow jogging every day for 5 minutes whether indoors or outdoors is good. Inactivity is the same as a sedentary life. It breeds ill-health.
As the body gains weight, other than muscular weight, a disease is a result.
Gaining weight is good. But muscle weight gain trims your figure.
Hence, exercise like jogging at slow pace helps here. Begin to jog for good health and life today.
- Wikipedia, Jogging: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jogging
- Cancer and physical activity: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4122430/
- Health benefits of physical activity: the evidence https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1402378/
- Warm-ups and cool-downs: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise/art-20045517?reDate=10052018
- 10 Commandments of cancer prevention: https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/The-10-commandments-of-cancer-prevention
- Cost of running shoes: https://www.runrepeat.com/running-shoe-prices-analyzed
© 2018 Miebakagh Fiberesima