Art Supplies for Kids - Edible & Non-Toxic
Art Supplies for Children
Children have curious mouths. They want to touch and taste everything. The creative little ones also love to dabble in art. But are you aware that their art supplies may contain toxins? After all, they are eating it.
Many common items like clay, markers, paint and chalk have toxic chemicals that can be very unsafe. Some of these chemicals include lead, heavy metals, organic solvents and asbestos.
As stated by Healthy Child Healthy World, if children are exposed to toxic chemicals found in art supplies it can result in breathing problems, lung and kidney malfunction, headaches, nausea and cancer.
Common Toxic Art Supplies
There are several common art supplies that contain toxins. Most art supply manufacturers use toxins so their product is easier to use and has a longer shelf life. Oftentimes you can find toxic solvents in oil based paints and markers. There are also numerous items that contain commercial dyes such as crayons, chalk and markers.
As well, as a parent you should be leery of artificially scented and flavored items like clay and highlighters. These products can contain various chemicals such as cyclohexanol, limonene and toluene which are known to cause several side effects that can be fatal to your child.
Instant paper mâché, aerosol paints and powdered paint are other art supplies that need to be avoided. These items can contain asbestos, carcinogens and lead plus they easily get into the lungs and skin.
Safeguard Your Children with Healthy Art Supplies
It is always good to take preventative measures especially when it comes to your children. Storing hazardous art supplies out of harms reach is definitely encouraged.
But I think a better solution is to eliminate toxic art supplies entirely. For one, it gets rid of the temptation when you run out of healthy supplies. It also guarantees safety from exposure. Additionally, you can feel good about what your child is putting in their mouth. And as we all know, children love to touch, taste and eat their art supplies.
Edible art supplies allow you to relax and stop worrying about the chemicals that might be in the product your child uses. On the same note, no longer do you need to worry about horrible side effects from exposure to toxic art supplies.
Healthy art supplies also make it more fun for a child. After all, they love putting things into their mouth. As a parent, you no longer need to tell your child to keep their art supplies out of their mouth. Both you and your child can now focus on creating a piece of artwork instead of worrying about health issues and toxins.
Edible Art Supplies
Do your children uses edible and healthy art supplies?
Shopping for Healthy Art Supplies
Although edible art supplies have not caught onto the general public, you can find them with a little research. Generally art stores do not carry toxic-free art supplies for children. However, on occasion you may find healthy art supplies at your local health food store.
For a parent who is concerned about what their child puts in their mouth, it is usually the easiest to shop online for healthy art supplies. One of my favorite companies is Wee Can Too.
The company was founded by two moms, Nichole Groat and Sarid Ditton.Their mission is to bring art supplies to babies and toddlers by offering the highest quality products made from fruit and vegetable powders, plus plant based ingredients.
Wee Can Too has also won various awards such as the Cribsie Award Winner in 2012! And more, their products have been featured in several respected publications like Green Child Magazine and Pregnancy & Newborn.
Some of the products available are organic face paint, crayons that use vegetables dyes for coloring, edible finger paint, organic play dough and sidewalk chalk with brilliant colors.
You can also find healthy art supplies on Amazon and Ebay.
Other Harmful Products that Children Use
Most people are not aware that several household products contain chemicals such as toothpaste, mouthwash, laundry soap, plastic bottles, and many other household products.
For instance, commercial toothpaste has numerous different toxic chemicals such as detergents, anti-microbial composites and fluoride. Other toxic chemicals that are common are sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), tetrasodium pyrophosphate (TSPP), hydrogen peroxide (bleach), polyethylene glycol (PEG), methylparaben, hydrated silica (a flame retardant) and artificial flavoring. Research shows that the majority of chemicals found in commercial toothpaste have numerous side effects.
Moreover, what a lot of people do not realize is that a child’s lunchbox may be leeching toxins into their food. Lunchboxes, plastic containers and baggies often are made with unsafe chemicals like Diethylhydroxylamine (DEHA), Bisphenol A (BPA) and Polyvinyl chloride (PVC). To find out more go to Your Kids Lunch Box Could be Toxic | ECOlunchboxes