List of Essential Hurricane Supplies
Are you prepared if a hurricane should threaten your area? If you live near the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea, Atlantic Ocean, or other part of the world where hurricanes have been known to strike, hurricane preparedness is an important fact of life. It's a fact that you can't be too careful when it comes to stocking the supplies necessary to keep your home, belongings, and family members safe before, during, and after a storm.
Hurricane Supply Ideas
There are certain supplies that everyone who lives in an area likely to be impacted by hurricanes needs to keep on hand at all times. Where you live and the type of home you have can impact the exact supplies that you need. Consider what your needs might be when deciding which of these supplies are items that you need to purchase.
Home Security: It's essential to take steps to secure your home from the possibility of wind and rain damage. It's a good idea to invest in hurricane supplies to help you prepare your property for the storm as well as to help with clean up and recovery once it has passed.
- Plywood (to board up windows and doors)
- Masking tape (to tape windows that won't be boarded)
- Rope (to secure lose outdoor items that can't be brought indoors)
- Chainsaw (gas powered)
- Generator (gas or diesel)
Riding Out the Storm: Once a storm hits, you won't be able to access additional supplies until it has passed and things have begun to return to normal in your community. Be sure you have all the supplies you need to get through a week or two before the hurricane strikes.
- Batteries (in every size you need for the tools and equipment you own)
- Battery operated radio and/or television
- First aid kit
- Hurricane lamps and lamp oil (use after the storm; avoid using while winds are high)
- Hurricane tracking chart
- Inverter (so you can charge your cell phone, laptop, etc. using your vehicle if necessary)
- Nonperishable food items
- Pet food
- Prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Weather radio (battery operated)
Food Preparation: The electricity and natural gas supplies are likely to go out during a storm and remain out for an extended period of time. Make sure you have equipment that can be used to cook, heat, and store food for your family.
- Camp stove and fuel
- Charcoal grill, charcoal, and lighter fluid
- Ice chest
- Gas grill and full propane tanks
Starting Point for Hurricane Preparedness
By no means is this an all inclusive list of the hurricane supplies you might need to ensure your family's comfort and safety is faced with a hurricane. This list is a good starting point, but it certainly doesn't cover every possibility. For additional hurricane preparedness tips see the National Hurricane Center's website, where you'll find information about creating a family plan, securing your home, putting together a disaster supply kit, and more.
Feel free to leave your own ideas about hurricane supplies and preparedness in the comments section below.