ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Male Yeast Infections

Updated on September 30, 2009

Men can get yeast infections. And if that sounds crazy to you, get a load of this; they can get them without the 'help' of a woman who already has one. Certainly that's not a common occurrence, but if you're the one-in-a-million guy who experiences it, that won't be much of a comfort to you. Therefore, you really ought to take a moment to familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms of male yeast infections, so you'll know when it's time to seek treatment -- and do seek treatment from a professional before you start self-diagnosing; you don't want to medicate for the wrong thing when it comes to your manly bits.

How Do Men Get Yeast Infections?

There are two ways a man gets a yeast infection; on his own, or from a woman who already has an infection. The first scenario simply involves an overgrowth of yeast bacteria, typically helped along by a deficient immune system, or conditions like diabetes. The other is what you'd guess -- direct sexual contact with a woman who has a yeast infection.

How Common Are They?

They're pretty common in women, but far, far less common in men. Which is why some of you didn't know men could get them. Like I just said, when they do show up, it tends to be in those with compromised immune systems, which includes men who've been on a long course of antibiotics, as this can wipe out the good bacteria meant to prevent yeast from getting out of hand.

What Are The Symptoms of a Male Yeast Infection?

One of the more common symptoms is itching and irritation in the groin area. There may also be a burning sensation and, possibly, a rash. It doesn't have to be limited to one specific place, as yeast is quite obnoxious in that it can get around a bit. Discharge isn't unheard of, but it's not likely.

How Do You Treat a Male Yeast Infection?

You go to the doctor, for a start. Do not pop into your local pharmacy and pick up a box of Monistat -- women are very familiar with the symptoms of female yeast infections, and even many of them misdiagnose themselves and treat for an infection that ain't there. Yeast infection symptoms can be identical to the symptoms of other infections, bacterial STDs in particular, and you don't want to treat yourself for the wrong thing. Let your doctor diagnose you, and if you do have a yeast infection he'll prescribe a pill like Diflucan or give you a cream.


Submit a Comment

No comments yet.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)