Mind Brain and Body
Mind Brain And Body
Mind, Brain and Body
The purpose of writing this article is to be aware as to how mind, brain and body affect each other.
Brain and mind affect all physical bodily functions. Similarly, body affects brain and mind.
A healthy mind resides in a healthy brain and healthy body. And, a healthy body harbours a healthy brain and healthy mind.
Brain - inside the skull
Development of Brain .....
With development of feotus in mother’s womb, brain starts developing. Throughout intra – uterine life, birth, infancy, childhood, teenage, up to approximately age 20 – 25 years, brain develops and newer nerve cells form. After this the brain starts aging slowly.
As per online talk on YouTube by Rebecca Saxe, brain and mind become better and better with practice. When we age we forget things, and the brain shrinks due to gradual death of nerve cells. To prevent aging of the brain we should learn something new.
Brain is affected by everything we do, and by everything we do not do. Learning music, dance, learning a new language or skill, solving puzzles, answering questions, painting, are some of the activities which retards aging of the brain and promotes formation of new nerve cells.
Brain and Mind :
Firstly, we should understand the difference between brain and mind.
- Brain is physical, and mind is mental and an activity of brain.
- Brain is an organ and we can touch it. Mind is a thought and cannot be touched.
- Brain is made up of cells, neurons and blood vessels, and has a definite shape. Mind is not a physical entity.
- We can see brain which is an important organ of the body. We cannot see mind.
- Brain can be affected by disease. Mind can develop mental problems.
- Brain has a definite place in the skull. Mind resides in the brain and is invisible.
Blueberries - Powerful Anti - Oxidant
Power Foods For The Brain .....
Neal Bernard in his online speech, talked about food for a healthy mind and brain :
- Avoid saturated fats : Fats which are solid at room temperature should be avoided. They affect heart, increase bad cholesterol, and adversely affect the brain. Avoid bad fats.
- Alzheimer’s disease – Its cause is not very well known but is due to memory loss in old age and is due to genes. B Amyloid protein, iron, and copper collect in the brain in between the nerve cells. Their oxidation releases free radicals.which are toxic to brain and they cause death of brain cells.
- Vitamin E is good for the brain : It is an anti – oxidant and is anti – aging. It knocks out free radicals. Nuts, almonds, are good. Get your vitamin E from food and not from pills. If over – loading will be toxic to brain.
- Coloured Foods : are good. Tomatoes, grapes, oranges, fresh fruits, green vegetables are good. Blueberries are powerful anti – oxidants.
- Avoid cheese and bacon.
Alzhiemer's disease .....
It is common. It affects more than 1 million cases per year in India. Treatment can help but this condition cannot be cured. It is chronic and can last for years or be life – long. It is a neuro – degenerative type of dementia, that cause problems with memory, thinking and behaviour. It is due to the death of brain cells which in advancing age cause memory loss and cognitive decline. The disease starts mild, and gets progressively worse.
Cause of Alzhiemer’s disease : is poorly understood, but as explained earlier, it is due to memory loss in old age and is due to genes. B Amyloid protein, iron, and copper collect in the brain in between the nerve cells. Their oxidation releases free radicals.
Usual Onset : of the disease is over 65 years of age.
Symptoms : Memory loss for recent events, problem with language, and disorientation in time, place, and person.
Age : Common in older people but early onset of the disease also occurs.
Family history : If there is a family history of the disease, it may be genetic and there is a high risk of the disease – about 3 to 8 times higher than a person without the gene. The gene is apolipoprotein E or APOE gene.
Risk Factors : Diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and a history of previous head injury are the risk factors.
Treatment and Prevention : Death of brain cells in dementia cannot be halted or reversed.
- Effective management of any condition occurring alongside the Alzheimer’s.
- Adult daily care.
- Support groups and services.
Drug Therapy :
10 Tips to keep the Brain Young .....
Elizabeth Amini in her online talk on YouTube gives 10 Tips to keep the brain young :
- Brisk walking for 30 minutes for 5 times in a week reduces risk of memory loss. Fast walking pushes blood and oxygen in brain and takes away the waste.
- Exercising the brain : Do mentally engaging games. Its fun. Any kind of learning – be it music, dance, new language, solving puzzles and crosswords and answering questions. Do different things during the day.
- Give up smoking : Nicotine constricts the capillaries and reduces blood circulation to the brain.
- Social ties : Spend time with people – friends.
- Work regularly on a cause : Pick any worthwhile cause and apply your brain to it.
- Relaxation : Meditate, do yoga. Stress shrinks the brain.
- Consult a good doctor : Vitamin B12 i.e. Methyl cobalamin, prevents aging of brain and memory loss even in Alzheimer’s.
- Food : Vegetables, fish twice a week, nuts, almonds, walnuts, peanuts and beans should be a part of your diet.
- Protect your health – protect your head.
- Alzhiemer’s : See opportunity in all challenges. Indulge in anti – aging games.
Influence Of Body Over Mind And Brain :
Body is about the physical aspect of the body, brain, nerve cells, and how the brain is structured. Mind is about mental processes, memory and consciousness.
A healthy body and brain harbours a healthy mind. Physical activities, such as walking, jogging, running, cycling, and swimming leads to physical fitness. These activities result in proper blood circulation of blood and oxygen supply to the brain. This enhances the capacity of the mind; example, physio – therapy helps recovery of the brain and mind in stroke victims.
The reverse of this is also true. A healthy mind influences to create a healthy body and brain. This is also termed in common language as WILL POWER. We come across so many examples of physical disabilities which have been overcome through mind power and will power. Handicapped persons find meaning in life through mind power.
Have a Zest for Life ..... Celebrate Living and Keep Your Body, Brain, and Mind Young .....
© 2017 Dr Kulsum Mehmood