Natural Ayurvedic Home Remedies For Morning Sickness
About Morning Sickness
Morning sickness is the nausea and vomiting experienced by women during the first few months of pregnancy, usually from 6-12 weeks of pregnancy. About 75% of pregnant women suffer from this condition of which about 1/3 have vomiting.
Also, morning sickness can be one of the first signs indicative of being pregnant. It is a common condition during pregnancy and can occur at any time of the day.
Though this condition can last from a few weeks to few months, the feeling of nausea may be felt anytime during pregnancy. Most of the nausea is triggered by smells.
Though morning sickness is not harmful to the fetus, severe vomiting may prevent one from keeping the food down or may prevent one from being inclined to eat. Morning sickness may lead to electrolyte imbalance, dehydration and malnutrition which might affect the health of the fetus as well as the mother to be. Consult a doctor in such a situation.
Some Tips To Prevent Morning Sickness
- On waking up in the morning make a habit of getting up slowly from the bed.
- Take a few biscuits or crackers in the early morning on getting up. Do not keep the stomach empty.
- Let someone else take over the cooking for sometime especially if food smell is affecting you.
- Eat small and frequent meals throughout the day.
- Eat light but nutritious food. Avoid oily, fried and spicy food.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and smoking too.
- Relax and don't stress.
- An early morning walk in fresh air will benefit as will some light exercise like a yogic breathing or pranayama will help ease this feeling.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothing.
- Vitamin B6 supplementation is believed to help.
- Avoid warm areas in the house since heat tends to increase nausea.
- Salted potato chips have been found to calm down the stomach.
- There are certain natural home remedies that can help. These are given below.
Natural Ayurvedic Remedies For Morning Sickness
I am listing below some very effective natural home remedies for countering morning sickness.
Eat 2 amla murabba (candied amla) daily for relief.
Learn How To Make Amla Murabba
Soak 50 grams of rice in 250 ml of water for 30 minutes. Then add 5 grams of coriander seeds and let them soak for 10 minutes. Now mash them in the water with both hands. Strain out the rice and coriander seeds.
Divide this water into 4 parts and drink one part four times a day. It relieves immediately.
Grind 2 cloves. add a tsp honey and mix. Lick this for relief.
Crush some fresh curry leaves and take out their juice. Take 2 tsp of this juice. Add 1 tsp of lemon juice. Add sugar to taste. Mix and drink 2 times a day.
Boil a handful of mint leaves in 200 ml of water. Inhale the vapors for relief.
Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
Take out juice of 4 lemons or limes. Add 50 grams of powdered rock salt. Mix well. Now add 125 grams of Jeera or Cumin seeds and let them soak in this juice.
When all the juice is absorbed by the cumin seeds and the seeds become dry, fill them up in a bottle.
Chew 1/2 a tsp of these seeds 3 times a day for relief.
Ginger, Mint, Lemon & Honey
Take 1 tsp juice of mint leaves. Add 1/2 tsp fresh ginger paste and 1 tsp lemon juice. Add 1 tsp honey to this and mix all of these well.
Drink this 2 times daily.
Boil 1/2 tsp coriander seeds in 200 ml of water till 100 ml water remains. Strain out the seeds, add candy sugar and drink.
- Butea monosperma, Flame Of the Forest Or Palash Tree - Some Uses And Health Benefits
Flame of the forest, Butea monosperma, Palash, Dhak, Bengal kino, Bino kino, Parrot tree ... One tree, various names, as varied as its health benefits. Read on for more on this amazing tree...
- The Health Benefits Of Sweetsop, Sugar Apple, Custar...
Sugar Apple, Custard apple or Sitaphal is a sweet pulpy fruit with a hard many sectioned protuberant rind. Learn about the many health benefits this aromatic fruit, also called bullock's heart, offers...
- Natal Plum: The Nutritional Secrets of this Tropical Fruit
Learn about the amazing native South African plant, the Natal Plum, which is a great landscape plant and more...
The information provided in this hub is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
How To Deal With Morning Sickness
Managing Morning Sickness (Week 8)
© 2013 Rajan Singh Jolly