Natural Ways to Help You Beat That Cold
Winter is here and of course so if flu/cold season. Within our daily lives we hardly ever notice how many shared things we touch within a day. We also don’t realize we touch our face roughly 18 times an hour. So it is no wonder we acquire a virus from time to time. Unfortunately, I happened to acquire a little bug from my mother this week so I know it can be irritating. Sniffles, coughing, and exhaustion are the price we got to pay to get through a cold.
Of course there are over the counter products you can try like benedryl, thermaflu, emerg-c, and etc. Yet, most of the time these products really dry me out or totally knock me out. I mean if I take two Benedryl don’t expect to hear from me for at least six hours! So instead of relying so much on these methods I always try to work in some natural remedies as well.
1. Always eat some form of leek or green onions, whether in your soup or in raw form. Onions have some awesome healing properties and have even been linked to fight off stomach cancer.
2. Garlic which I recommend you put into soup. Some people say that you should even place a clove of garlic in your mouth and bite every so often.
3. Spicy food! Say goodbye to blocked nasal passages. Anything spicy should help you ease the pain of that congested nose.
4. If you have cough or a sore throat I recommend drinking honey lemon tea without adding milk or sugar. When you have a cold you really want to avoid excess milk and sugar because these cause a build up of flem. Tea is heaven. As an actor I have used this numerous times to save me from being miserable during a show. It does wonders for your voice if you drink it often. Elderberry Tea is another one that is known to cut the time you are sick in half.
5.Take a nice warm bath and breathe in the steam. It will also help with congestion. If you could even manage to create some steam with essential oil eucalyptus it will help you even more.
6. Drink a lot of water! You do not want your body to get dehydrated. Think of it as if you are washing that virus out of your body
7. Rest, rest, and rest!
8. Eat right.
Here is a recipe I came across that exhibits that essential natural healers I mentioned before:
Healing Chicken Soup
1/2 Organic Chicken cut into parts (VEGETARIAN? USE TOFU!)
2 Cloves of Garlic
2 Tablespoons of Better than Boulion Soup Base or 3 Boullion Cubes.
Carrots and Celery (Personally I’m not a celery fan so I leave it out)
Handful of Dill
Salt and Pepper to your taste.
· Combine all ingredients in a large pot
· Boil and simmer for a 1 hour.
· Cook a pot of whole-wheat angel-hair pasta in a separate pot.
· Add the noodles in and enjoy.
· After the chicken or tofu is cooked, Cut it into small pieces and add into the soup as well. This is an
This recipe will hopefully help you beat that cold. The ingredients have powerful antioxidants and nutrients! Enjoy!