- Women's Health»
Now You Are Mother
There are plenty of preparations to be taken care of before the baby arrives. The following is a guide to some of the things you will need to take care of the little newcomer.
You will need the following:
• 6 sleepsuits
• 6 undershirts (buy the ones that fasten between the baby's legs
• socks (if you buy the sleepsuits with feet, you may not need socks)
• coat or "snowsuit" (all-in-one outer garment for cold weather)
• 3-4 sets of clothes for going out
• 2 receiving blankets (small blankets or sheets for swaddling, putting over one's shoulder when burping the baby, etc)
• Buy woollen blankets, especially during the winter.
Pay attention to the time of year the baby will be born when you buy supplies for him, so that you will not buy summer clothes when he is going to be born in the winter or vice versa.
When buying clothing for your baby, make sure that the kind of fabric the clothes are made of will not bother him; some kinds of wool or synthetic fabrics may be uncomfortable and make his skin itch. (Cotton, cotton blends and knit fabrics are most comfortable.)
Buy the following:
• 6-8 packets of diapers, but do not buy too many of one size because the child's size will change
• Sterilised cotton gauze for cleaning the child's bellybutton
• Soap and shampoo suitable for use on newborns
• Cream for diaper rash
• Wet wipes for use on babies
• Plastic bags to put dirty diapers in
• Soft towels to use after giving the baby a bath • Soft comb and brush
• Special safety scissors for cutting the nails; it is best to buy the type that has rounded ends because this reduces the risk of the child getting hurt.
• Baby bath tub
if you want to breastfeed then you may need to buy a pump to extract milk and some sterilisedp bottles to keep the milk in.
PREPARING THE BABY'S BEDROOM
You will need a bassinet, crib, sheets and blankets. You may also want to buy decor items.
GETTING AROUND WITH THE BABY
You will need an infant car seat, a pram or stroller, and a baby carrier or sling.