Phobias, Phobias, Phobias......Oh, So Many Phobias...Arachnophobia Etc
While searching the Internet for a name for my irrational fear of cockroaches, I ran across the meaning of Phobia, and the following is what I found.
1. A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid it, despite the awareness and reassurance that it is not dangerous. 2. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.
Based on those meanings I have a legitimate phobia, but alas there is not a bonafide, specific name for my "phobia." It appears that I can only call it a fear of insects, "Entomophobia." That's not good enough for me, but I guess It'll have to do. NO, it won't do, I'm going to name it "roachophobia," now, there it is.
So, on my quest I found that there are hundreds of phobias, almost anything that you have an irrational or strong fear, dislike or aversion to, has a name with phobia attached to it. I'm going to name just a few.
Now before I proceed, I'd like to point out that some of these are real fears not feigned or imagined, so if I take a little levity, I'm only doing it for the entertainment, not to belittle anyone for their fears.
These happen to be, out of all the ones that I found, legitimate and believable. If I don't happen to name yours, it only means that I didn't find it, or to me, it was unbelievable, or maybe I haven't gotten to it yet.
So here it goes:
- Ablutophobia--Fear of washing or bathing.
- Achluophobia, Myctophobia, Nyctophobia, Scotophobia, or Lygophobia--Fear of darkness or of the night.
- Acrophobia or Hysiphobia--Fear of heights.
- Aeroacrophobia--Fear of open high places
- Agliophobia, Algophobia, Odynophobia or Odynephobia--Fear of pain.
- Agoraphobia--Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.
- Ailurophobia--Fear of cats.
- Androphobia or Arrhenphobia--Fear of men.
- Angrophobia--Fear of anger or of becoming angry.
- Apiphobia or Melissophobia--Fear of bees.
- Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia--Fear of spiders
- Ataxophobia--Fear of disorder or untidiness.
- Atychiphobia--Fear of failure.
- Automatonophobia--Fear of ventriloquist's dummies, animatronic creatures, wax statues etc.
- Automysophobia--Fear of being dirty.
- Aviophobia, aviatophobia or Pteromerhanophobia--Fear of flying.
- Bacteriophobia--Fear of bacteria
- Bathmophobia--Fear of stairs or steep slopes.
- Batophobia--Fear of heights or being close to heights or being close to high buildings.
- Batrachophobia--Fear of amphibians, such as frogs, newts, salamanders and the like.
- Belonephobia or Aichmophobia--Fear of pins and needles.
- Botanophobia--Fear of plants.
- Cacophobia--Fear of ugliness.
- Carnophobia--Fear of meat.
- Catagelophobia--Fear of being ridiculed.
- Catoptrophobia--Fear of mirrors.
- Chaetophobia, Hypertrichophobia, Trichopathophobia, or Trichophobia--Fear of hair.
- Chiraptophobia--Fear of being touched.
- Chorophobia--Fear of dancing.
- Chrometophobia or Chrematophobia--Fear of money.
- Claustrophobia--Fear of confined spaces.
- Cleithrophobia or Cleisiophobia--Fear of being locked in an enclosed place.
- Climacophobia--Fear of stairs, climbing, or of falling downstairs.
- Clithrophobia or Cleithrophobia--Fear of being enclosed.
- Coimetrophobia--Fear of cemeteries.
- Coprophobia--Fear of feces.
- Coulrophobia--Fear of clowns.
- Cryophobia--Fear of extreme cold, ice or frost.
- Cynophobia--Fear of dogs or rabies.
- Demophobia--Fear of crowds, same as Agoraphobia and Enochlophobia.
- Dentophobia--Fear of dentists.
- Didaskaleinophobia--Fear of going to school. (I think one of my kids tried to use this one on me).
- Dipsophobia--Fear of drinking.
- Dishabiliophobia--Fear of undressing in front of someone.
- Doraphobia--Fear of fur or skins of animals.
- Dystychiphobia--Fear of accidents.
- Eisoptrophobia--Fear of mirrors or of seeing oneself in a mirror.
- Elurophobia or Ailurophobia, Felinophobia, Galeophobia, Gatophobia--Fear of cats.
- Enetophobia--Fear of pins.
- Entomophobia or Insectophobia--Fear of insects.
- Equinophobia--Fear of horses.
- Ergophobia--Fear of work.
- Erythrophobia or Erytophobia or Ereuthophobia--Fear of anything red, red lights, blushing, etc.
- Gamophobia--Fear of marriage.( I guess that's what dyed in the wool bachelors tell their girlfriends).
- Genophobia--Fear of sex.
- Gerascophobia or Gerontophobia--Fear of old people or growing old, (can we say Hollywood).
- Haphephobia or Haptephobia--Fear of being touched.
- Heliophobia--Fear of the sun.
- Hemophobia, hemaphobia or Hematophobia--Fear of blood.
- Herpetophobia--Fear of reptiles or other so called creepy, crawly things.
- Hippophobia--Fear of horses.
- Hominophobia--Fear of men.
- Homophobia--Fear of homosexuality, or of becoming homosexual.
- Hoplophobia--Fear of firearms.
- Ichthyophobia--Fear of fish.
- Isolophobia or Monophobia--Fear of solitude, or of being alone..
- Kenophobia--Fear of voids or empty spaces.
- Koniophobia--Fear of dust.
- Lachanophobia--Fear of vegetables, (don't let your children use this one).
- Lockiophobia--Fear of childbirth.
- Lilapsophobia--Fear of tornadoes and hurricanes.
- Maniaphobia--Fear of insanity.
- Mastigophobia--Fear of punishment.
- Mechanophobia--Fear of machines.
- Melanophobia--Fear of the color black.
Do you have a phobia?
More To Come
Well this is getting out of hand. I'll have to complete this subject in another hub. Please check out Phobias, Phobias, Phobias......Oh, So Many Phobias, #2
More About Phobias
- Phobias, Phobias, Phobias...............Oh, So Many Phobias #2
This is a continuation of a previous hub, entitled Phobias, Phobias, Phobias........Oh, So Many Phobias. Just to recap the meaning of Phobia is as follows. 1. A persistent, abnormal, and irrational fear...
- The Phobia List
You can find a complete list of phobias on this site.
- Comprehensive List of Food Phobias
While particularly common among people diagnosed with eating disorders, food phobias can also be found in otherwise mentally healthy people.
- Dog Fears and Phobias
A fearful dog is a challenge to own and train. In familiar setting the dog may be a sweet, wonderful family pet, but in new places, he may turn into a jittery mess. If your dog is like this, it is important...