- Exercise & Fitness
Health Benefits of Yoga Poses
Majority of people get attracted towards yoga in an attempt to keep themselves fit and healthy, but the main purpose behind physically practicing yoga and yogic postures is to have better inner awareness and a sound development of body, mind and soul. This can be attained by focusing on healing, followed by achieving proper balance through yoga. In Sanskrit, yoga stands for "yoke" or union, which means the integration of mind and body to generate a higher connection with one's own pure form.
Yoga has its origins from most ancient times and over the centuries it has been modified a lot. Researches and experiences have given rise to many forms of yoga which serve various purposes depending on the need. Some are extremely effective in improving the flexibility of the body, whereas others work great in enhancing the free flow of energy throughout the body, which helps in reducing body fat and maintaining a good and balanced weight.
It is always recommended to include some forms of yogic postures in your daily routine to yield benefits from yoga. Pranayama, meditation, cleansing and relaxation are some of the significant aspects of yoga that can help a great deal when practiced regularly.
Benefits of Yoga
Yoga offers numerous benefits that include physical and mental fitness, stress control, mental clarity, better decisiveness, better self-understanding and an overall well being. The best part of yoga is that it can be practiced by people of all age groups and can also be adapted by the people with disabilities to their benefits. Yogic poses enhance the coordination, muscle strength, flexibility and agility, while controlling the cholesterol level, weight and blood pressure to a great extent. Below are some of the many physiological benefits of yoga:
1) Yoga postures that include breathing exercises can work excellently in balancing the pulse rate and respiratory rate.
2) Yogasanas can stabilize the autonomic nervous system equilibrium.
3) Consistent and regular practice of yoga has resulted in enhanced abilities to control the involuntary functions of the body such as blood pressure, temperature and even heart beat. Some of the yogic asanas can work excellently in lowering the blood pressure.
4) Yoga helps in enhancing the cardiovascular efficiency. Some of the yogic postures that involve backward bending improve the heart rate.
5) Yoga can help get that natural glow on your skin. Some of the yogic asanas improve the galvanic skin response, by balancing the hormones and boosting the flow of oxygen in the blood flow. Certain yogic postures also tone up the muscles of neck and back.
6) Yoga helps in normalizing gastro-intestinal functions, endocrine functions and excretory functions.
7) With regular practice, yoga can enhance the musculoskeletal flexibility and joint range of motion.
8) Some of the breathing exercises of yoga can work amazingly in detoxifying activity. .
Apart from the above benefits, yoga also helps in healing back and joint pains to a great extent. Some of the yogic postures can treat ailments like arthritis, asthma, epilepsy and diabetes, e.g. gomukhasana is said to be excellent in treating diabetes.
The science of yoga has been well researched and practices since thousands of years and the information it portrays about the connection between mind and body is now well proven by the modern scientific experiments.