Pregnancy: Signs & Symptoms
However traditional and complicated it might be for married couple to conceive it seems the younger generations are more successful at having babies than those couples. This article does not "look down" on those that are not married and/or teen parents, it is simply to inform and discuss the trials that many mothers go through.
There are many women that are pregnant long before they realize it. There are a few signs to look for if you think you might be pregnant, don’t be alarmed if these symptoms occur other things might cause them, but if those things are not present then you might need to look into taking a pregnancy test.
- Delay of Menstruation: Other causes of this besides being pregnant are excessive weight gain or loss, fatigue, hormonal problems, tension, stress, going off the birth control pill or breast feeding. This can last the entire pregnancy, however it is not uncommon to have a light period during the first trimester.
- Nausea and Vomiting: Food poisoning, stress and a variety of other stomach disorders could cause this pregnancy-like symptom to occur. If pregnant it normally shows 2-8 weeks after conception.
- Tender or Swollen Breasts: Hormonal imbalance, birth control pills, impending menstruation could cause this pregnancy-like symptom. If pregnant it shows 1-2 weeks after conception.
- Feeling Exhausted or Sleepy: Stress, fatigue, depression and other physical and mental strains or the common cold or flu can result in this pregnancy-like symptom. If pregnant it normally happens 1-6 weeks after conception.
- Backaches: It is possible back problems and a physical or mental strains however if linked to pregnancy it could last all three trimesters.
- Frequent Headaches: Dehydration, caffeine withdrawal, eye strain and other ailments could lead to this symptom. If pregnant it could last the entire pregnancy.
- Food Cravings: It is a possibility that poor diet, stress, depression, and impending menstruation could cause this pregnancy-like symptom. If pregnant you can count on this lasting the entire pregnancy, sometimes for a week or so after babies are born.
- Darkening of Areola: The areola is the center of the breast or the nipple. It darkening could be because of hormonal imbalance, however if pregnant the first signs are 1-14 weeks after conceptions and then throughout the pregnancy.
- Frequent Urination: Diabetes, urinary tract infection, taking excessive diuretics causing you to urinate, can all be causes of this pregnancy-like symptom. If pregnant it normally starts to occur 6-8 weeks after conception.
- Fetal Movements: Instead of being pregnant it could be gas or lower gastrointestinal bowl contractions. Although if pregnant it normally occurs 16-22 weeks into pregnancy.
- Fetal Heart Beat: There is no other cause for having a heart beat other than your own within your body besides pregnancy. Normally the heartbeat can be heard for the first time between 10-20 weeks, and continued to be heard throughout the entire pregnancy. Sensitive microphones (Doppler, etc.) are used to detect fetal heartbeats early within the first trimester.
If these symptoms occur and you feel the need to have a professional opinion, please seek medical advice. A mother-to-be or a woman planning to have babies should always keep herself healthy and well-maintained. Check-ups are a necessity for the expecting mother and of course all babies!