Getting cheaper medicines in Singapore
If you are a patient from Singapore, you may use Medisave to pay for certain medicines that are classified under the ten chronic disease approved by the Ministry of Health.(MOH).
Therefore, the next time you buy medicine from a restructured hospital, check if the list include any of the following drugs which belong to Standard List 2 (SL2) Drug List which entitled you up to 50% discount of the retail price. However if you are an elderly at a polyclinics, you just need to pay 25% of retail price.
Drugs that are not under Standard List 1 (SL1) or Standard List 2 (SL2) Drug List, will be under Non Formulary (NF) List, for which the patients have to pay full price.
Standard List 2 Drug List
- Beclomethasone Inhaler 250mcg/ puff
- Bisoprolol Fumarate Tablet 2.5mg, 5mg
- Budesonide Powder Inhaler 200mcg/ dose
- Carvedilol Tablet 6.25mg, 12.5mg, 25mg
- Clozapine Tablet 25mg, 100mg
- Colestyramine Powder For Oral Suspension 4g
- Diltiazem Hydrochloride Injection 50mg
- Fluoxetine Capsule 10mg, 20mg
- Fluvoxamine Maleate Tablet 50mg
- Fluticasone Propionate Inhaler 50mcg, 125mcg, 250mcg/ dose
- Haloperidol Oral Solution 2mg/ mL
- Insulin Isophane (Human) Injection Penfill 100 international unit/ mL
- Insulin Soluble (Human) Injection, Penfill 100 international unit/ mL
- Insulin Soluble 30% & Insulin Isophane 70% Injection, Penfill 100 international unit/ mL
- Losartan potassium Tablet 50mg, 100mg
- Nifedipine Extended-Release Tablet 30mg, 60mg
- Nortriptyline Capsule 10mg, 25mg
- Pipotiazine Palmitate Injection 50mg/ mL
- Pravastatin Sodium Tablet 20mg
- Quetiapine Tablet 25mg, 100mg, 200mg
- Risperidone Oral Solution 1mg/ mL
- Risperidone Tablet 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg
- Salbutamol Concentrate for Infusion 5mg/ 5mL
- Sulpiride Tablet 200 mg
- Triamterene & Hydrochlorothiazide Tablet
- Triamterene 50mg + Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg
- Venlafaxine Extended-Release Capsule 75mg, 150mg
- Zuclopenthixol Acetate Injection 50mg/ mL
- Zuclopenthixol Decanoate Injection 200mg/ mL
Financial difficulties to pay for your medication
You should enquire your doctor who will refer you to a Medical Social Worker about the Medication Assistance Fund (MAF) which is used to assist Singaporeans who face difficulties with drug bills even after subsidies.
The patient must be a Singapore Citizen receiving treatment as a subsidized patient and has been prescribed with an approved drug for an approved indications.
List of medications that are included in the Medication Assitance Fund list
Only the following drugs are entitled to further subsidy:
- Levetiracetam Concentrate for Infusion 100mg/ mL, Oral Solution 100mg/ mL, Tablet 250mg, 500mg, 1g
- Powder Inhaler Formoterol Fumarate Dihydrate 4.5mcg/ dose + Budesonide 160mcg/ dose
- Salmeterol & Fluticasone Propionate Inhaler
- Salmeterol 25mcg/ dose + Fluticasone Propionate 50mcg/ dose
- Salmeterol 25mcg/ dose + Fluticasone Propionate 125mcg/ dose
- Salmeterol 25mcg/ dose + Fluticasone Propionate 250mcg/ dose
- Calcipotriol 50mcg/ g + Betamethasone (as Diproprionate) 0.5mg/ g Ointment
- Calcipotriol 50mcg/ g + Betamethasone (as Diproprionate) 0.5mg/ g Gel
- Trastuzumab 440mg Infusion
- Paclitaxel 0.5mg Tablet, 1mg Tablet, 0.05mg/ mL Oral Solution
- Anastrozole 1mg Tablet
For the complete list of medications that are included in the Medication Assistance Fund list, please contact individual hospital in Singapore.
Secure your cheap medicine
Financial difficulties should never be a reason why a patient is denied of available health care. Speak to your doctors, pharmacists or medical social workers for help.