How to Get Ride of Puffy Eyes-Ayurveda, Home Remedies
Puffy eyes is a condition in which the skin under the eyes becomes puffed or bulged. It could cause itching sensation followed by inflammation in eyes. The bulged area gradually darkens. As the skin around the eyes is very delicate, it is a highly sensitive area.
Swelling of eyes occurs due to various factors like trapping of fluid in eye tissue, accumulation of fat in the skin beneath the eyes, stress, hormonal changes, allergy, high blood pressure, dermatitis or sinus, aging, less consumption of water, long term use of antibiotics or use of excessive salt.
Common symptoms include swollen eyelids, puffing of eyelids, itching in the eyes, redness of eyes and difficulty in opening or closing the eyes. It is difficult to remove the bags under the eyes, but the puffiness can be cured by herbal home remedies.
Make two thick square pads of cotton wool. Soak in cucumber juice or rose water. Lie down and place the soaked pads over the eyes. Keep them for 15-20 minutes.
You can place two slices of cool cucumber over the eyes for 15 minutes. Cucumber is rich in water and helps reduce the swelling.
Place slices of raw potatoes over the eyes for 15 minutes, then rinse juice off with cool water. Potatoes soothe and shrink puffy eyes.
Press the eyebrow and the eye socket with the middle finger. This is very effective for puffy eyes as it stimulates the lymphatic system and drains the excess fluid.
Ayurvedic medicines are very effective in treating puffy eyes
- Wash eyes with Triphala decoction.
- Apply juice of Aloe Vera or leaf of Moringa oleifera over the eye bags.
- Karutha gulika is crushed and made into a paste with buttermilk. Apply it over the eye bags and keep it for 30 minutes.
- Mix 5gm of Rasnadi choornam or Kachoradi choornam with buttermilk to make a paste and apply it over the puffy eyes. You have to wet the surface of the paste when it gets dried. Wash with cold water after 30 minutes.
Tips to Prevent Puffy Eyes
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water.
- Sleep at least 7-8 hours a day.
- Rinse the face with chilled water periodically.
- Increase the intake of essential fatty acids which helps reduce inflammation throughout the body.
- Wear sunglasses.
- Don't drink fluids before going to bed.
- Reduce the intake of sodium contained salt.
- Avoid applying wrinkle removal cream near the eyes. The cream can close the pores in the skin, leading to hydration in that area and results in puffiness of the eyes.
- Avoid anything that triggers allergic reaction.
- Avoid rubbing eyes.
- Soak tea bags in cold water, and place them on the eyes for several minutes.
- Hold a pencil in front of the face. Look at it. Slowly move the pencil further and further away from the face, while still looking at it. Bring the pencil back slowly and repeat
- Look out of the window as far as you can see. This is a very good exercise for the eyes.
- Press the base of your palms gently on the eyes. Release the pressure and repeat. Do this three to four times.
Drinking alcohol or eating salty foods before going to sleep can lower the anti diuretic hormones in the body, causing temporary puffiness of the eyes. Don't forget that If the problems persists, please consult a doctor at the earliest.