- Alternative & Natural Medicine»
- Whole-Body Health & Holistic Medicine
Relief from Headache with Holistic Remedies
The pain of migraines can be debilitating. For years I suffered from migraine which left me unproductive for days at a time. It was not until I committed to making changes in my lifestyle that the frequency and severity of my headaches noticeably decreased.
I found out, through testing, that I am allergic to dairy products and eggs. I had no idea prior to this discovery that dairy was the culprit of so many issues I was experiencing. When I cut it out, the sinus issues that plagued me for years disappeared.
For over 30 years, I had been addicted to Afrin nasal spray. I would use it several times a day and couldn't leave home without it. When I cut out the dairy, my addiction dissolved. I simply no longer needed the Afrin. Plus, my headaches decreased from an almost daily occurrence to a more hormonal occasion. They began to only appear during my cycle but not at other times during the month.
With all of this success, it was easy for me to eliminate the dairy and the eggs. I went a step further and eliminated processed foods. By making further lifestyle changes, I dropped 50 pounds without even trying. Simply by eating the right foods, I had effectively improved my quality of life in every way! I am now able to pinpoint the cause of a migraine quite easily as I am aware of what I am putting into my body and its effects on me.
With all of the changes I have made, however, I have not completely dissolved my issue of migraine headaches. At times, the pain and debilitation cause me to reach for prescription medication. I am determined to eliminate these from my life as well. But, in the meantime, to deal with the now occasional migraine, I follow the advise of my holistic doctor. I have found the holistic remedies that he recommends effective in dealing with the cause of my headaches. Incorporating their use into a better lifestyle plan has brought the time I spend fighting migraines down to a minimum.
• Feverfew - used as a folk remedy for migraine for centuries, studies have found it to decrease the frequency of suffering significantly.
• 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) - the amino acid tryptophan helps our bodies to produce serotonin and melatonin. 5-HTP affects serotonin levels in the brain which is a known method of preventing migraine headaches.
• Magnesium - our bodies need magnesium in order to perform over 300 biochemical reactions. This mineral is so important for the regulation of so many necessary functions in our bodies. It is found in leafy green vegetables, seeds, nuts and whole grains. It can also be taken in supplement form. Studies have shown it promising when used as a migraine headache treatment.
It is important to consult with a qualified health care professional in order to determine proper dosing and interactions with other medications you may be taking.
Preventative measures and holistic home remedies can be your best defense at decreasing and even eliminating the suffering caused by migraine headaches. The rewards are worth the effort. Talk to your holistic doctor in order to make the best use of these and other treatment options.