Cooking Healthy: Cooking habits to keep your heart healthy
Ingredients required for healthy heart cooking
What I'm going to say here about cooking for healthy heart requires no secret ingredients. It simply means recipes of lower saturated fat, cholesterol, and total fat, and also reduceding slat "Sodium".
An extra plus here, is that these recipes will have fewer calories and that leads to weight loss in advance.
Eating low calories or healthy food doesn't mean we should starve or eating tasteless food!
Eating heart healthy meals doesn’t mean giving up some of those too-rich favorite family recipes.
With a few changes, you can keep your heart healthy and keep your family safe too. Here is a recipe for diet pizza which can be made for 6-8 persons.
Eating healthy, living healthy
Tips for healthy life style
You just need to practice some habits that makes it easier:
- Plain water instead of sweetened drinks, reduces extra unwanted calories
- practice drinking tea and coffee with no or low sugar
- Whole grain bread makes you feel full for a longer time
- Don't eat too much fruit but you can eat more vegetables
- Choose lean meat instead of fatty meat
- Eat skinless chicken
- Eat more fish "2 times a week or more if you can"
- Use low fat or skimmed dairy products.
- Use less dangerous fats.
Substitutions of fats, grease, eggs, dairy ... etc
Here I don't want to make it difficult for "and myself too"
we'll follow our ordinary recipes with little substitutions :)
Substitutions of milk, cream and sour cream
- Use low fat milk in stead of whole milk
- Blend low fat cottage cheese with 1 cup of low fat milk to get healthy cream
- If you need sour cream, you can use skimmed yogurt instead of milk, or you can add 2 tsp lemon juice
Substitutions of Oils/Butter
- Use cooking oil spray instead of regular one
- use small amount of vegetable oil instead of butter, margarine, or any fats that are hard at room temperature.
- Use margarine made of veg. oil for bakings (read the ingredients well, should have vegetable oil as a first ingredient)
- Use 3 egg whites and one egg yolk instead of 2 whole eggs
For Sandwiches and Salads
- Use fat free or lowfat dressing,yogurt, or mayonnaise, instead of regular versions.
- For Salad dressing, use equal parts of water and vinegar,and half as much oil.
● To make a pie crust, use only 1/2 cup margarine for every 2 cups flour.
● For chocolate desserts, use 3 tablespoons of cocoa, instead of 1 ounce of baking chocolate.
"If fat is needed to replace that in chocolate, add 1 tablespoon or less of vegetable oil."
● To make cakes and soft-drop cookies, use no more than 2 tablespoons of fat for each cup of flour.