STRESS MANAGEMENT: Kefir Probiotic drinks help Stressed gut
What is Kefir?
Kefir Health Benefits
Kefir Grains, Make your Own Kefir
Kefir Recipe, How to Make Kefir
Kefir was a very common drink during my childhood and youth years.
I grew up in Latvia, which was part of the former Soviet Union those years.
Nobody talked about stress, weight loss, diets, or even healthy eating those days. We just ate and drank what was available.
There were not many products available but kefir was.
I knew kefir was a probiotic drink (I was studying for my MD degree) but neither I, nor others around me cared much about the kerfir's health benefit tags. We drank kefir just because it was what we could get our hands on.
Kefir just happened to be one of the products always available.
I still remember those glass bottles of kefir sitting lonely on the shelves and nobody cared much about them.
Today I live in Italy and miss my kefir a lot because you simply can’t get it here.And now I am aware of its amazing health benefits.....life irony :)
Maybe it was because of kefir’s health benefits we survived and were able to compensate the lack of variety of foods that are available today?
What is Kefir?
Kefir is a fermented milk product that originates from the Caucasus Mountains in the former Soviet Union where it was used in ancient times to treat a variety of health related problems ranging from digestive disorders to infectious processes such as tuberculosis.
Now, the Western world is starting to discover and embrace the apparent health benefits of kefir.
But truly, the health benefits of Kefir are endless!
Here are some Kefir health benefits:
- With lactose intolerance being so common in these days, kefir can be a healthy alternative to traditional milk and yogurt.
- Contains several friendly bacteria: Lactobacillus kefyr, Leuconostoc cremoris, Lactococcus lactis, Lactococcus cremoris, Lactococcus diacetylactis, Candida kefyr, and Saccharomyces unisporous.
- Contains probiotics, healthy microorganisms which can help to maintain normal digestive function and are used to make the feel-good neurotransmitter, serotonin.
- Probiotics helps stressed gut
- Relieves all intestinal disorders, reduces flatulence, promotes bowel movement, and creates a healthier digestive system.
- Enhances the immune system.
- Contains beneficial yeast, enzymes, amino acids, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin K, and the B vitamins, critical for a healthy nervous system
- Inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria and yeasts.
- May help to prevent breast cancer.
- Helps patients suffering from stress related chronic fatigue syndrome, AIDS, herpes.
- Contains tryptophan, one of the essential amino acids which is well-known for its relaxing effect on the nervous system.
- Helps ease depression, sleep disorders, and ADHD.
Kefir Grains, Make Your Own Kefir
What are kefir grains?
Kefir culture or "grains", which are used to make kefir, look like white, semi-clear cauliflower florets. The kefir culture is referred to as "grains", though it shouldn't be confused with the ordinary sort of "grain", which usually comes to mind.
Kefir grains are a combination of yeasts and bacteria, along with some sugars and proteins.
Kefir grains aren't "made", but rather grow as they are cultured.
How to make Kefir
How is kefir made?
Kefir is made by combining kefir grains with milk.
For every tablespoon of kefir grains, you will need a 7-8 tablespoons of milk (about one cup total, with the grains).
Just place the milk and grains in a glass jar, cover loosely, and store at room temperature, out of direct sunlight, for 12-24 hours. The resulting fermented milk is the kefir!
Strain, and enjoy your fresh kefir!
Kefir For Healthy Breakfast
You can drink Kefir straight up or drizzle it over your favorite cereal!
Try healthy breakfast:
Cereal with Kefir
Cereals are high fiber foods and together Kefir both are Living Food with multiple health benefits.
Bio-In — is a balanced probiotics programClick thumbnail to view full-size
Bio-In program to restore the balance of human microbiome.
Bio-In — is a balanced 120-day program that comprehensively improves the digestive tract and body’s general condition and restores the balance of human microbiome.
What makes the program unique is that the user can customize it to suit his or her personal needs. The synbiotics (probiotics+prebiotics) program is characterized by its targeted effect, improving particular functions in the body.
About the Author
Dr.Inese Millere , M.D. is lifestyle coach in holistic stress management and mindful eating for busy women after 40 who want to be Fit, Balanced and Ageless: to manage stress, stress eating, have a healthy and joyful relationship with food and enjoy healthy living and longevity.
If you'd like to talk about working with me, please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief description of your situation.
Related Hubs You Might Like
- STRESS MANAGEMENT: How To Resolve Stress Eating Without Changing Anything
- Detox Your Body - Secrets to Longevity
Does longevity concern you? I bet it does, especially if you are a Baby Boomer and refusing to passively accept the aging process.
- High Fiber Diet - The Benefits of Fiber
Fiber is a complex carbohydrate found in plants. It is the part of plants that cannot be digested by the human digestive tract.
- Reduce Stress with Healthy Stress Nutrition
Some of you may wonder what on earth has nutrition to do with stress? Nutritional stress is actually a major type of physical stress for 21st century.