- Mental Health»
- Stress Management
Surviving In Any Environment
In our lifetime we have encountered many obstacles that may have contributed to elevating our stress levels. In high school we may have come across the occasional bully, who chose to take our lunch or the money we had to purchase lunch. Well, the working environment is not much different. Men and women in the workplace face many dilemmas. These include but are not limited to,sexually harassment and bullying. Yes, I said bullying. Believe it or not bullying still takes place in the work place. We still have persons who chose not to grow up and carry the same mentality into the working environment.
To efficiently deal with stress one must first discover what is the cause of it. How do you know that you are under stress? When we hear the word stress only negative experiences come to mind. But let us be mindful of the fact that there is a good side and a bad side of stress. Have you ever experience being in front of a large crowd getting ready to deliver your speech or some other performance ? That enthusiasm you feel moments before you give that speech which calls for a standing ovation is what we call good stress. Stress is what drives us to be the best at whatever we do. Everything in life has a breaking point, it is there that stress can cause a lot of damage to one's body.
Stress is not always easy to diagnose. It acts as a camouflage agent plunging itself into your daily way of life.The way we deal and cope with stress is totally up to us. Stress is triggered by an outside stimulus that is referred to as a stressor. For example: A large crowd, traffic, drugs, divorce proceedings or death of a loved one. Here are some ways people tend to manage stress.
- Distancing themselves from friends and relatives
- Consuming sleeping pills
- Taking out their stress on others
These "solutions" are only a temporary relief to stress and in my opinion only makes the situation even more stressful.
So just how do you manage stress if you are feeling overwhelmed?
- If you are in a stressful environment, it might be a good idea to getaway for a while. Take some time off and travel or just seclude yourself from that environment.
- It is said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I would like to take it a step further to say that a well-balanced meal is most important when managing stress.
- During stressful times it is not a good idea to consume too much alcohol and products containing caffeine. The consumption of these products can trigger anxiety attacks and may cause the person under the influence to become very nervous and agitated.
- Everything breathes and grows requires rest. Getting enough sleep after a hard and stressful day at work is of uttermost importance.
- Exercise daily. According to the Mayo Clinic, exercise is a good stress reliever. It jump starts your endorphins which is responsible for making you feel good.
Applying these simple steps in your life when you are feeling stressed will help you along the way.