- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Ten Reasons for not getting a proper Sleep
Sleeping for Health
One can live without food for few days. Even one can live without water for 2 or 3 days. But it is always difficult to imagine a life without sleep. Usually it is said that for active brain to function, for stress less life, for powerful memory, one need to have Proper sleep. It is a biological necessity as our immune system requires sleep to fight off disease and endure illness. One of the reasons for health conditions like Depression and Obesity is lack of proper sleep. Further Sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea also may lead to fatigue, irritability, forgetfulness, stress and high blood pressure. In short, Lack of sleep affects emotional and physical health. But generally there are certain difficulties one may face while sleep.
- You get up several times to visit the Bathroom: An enlarged prostate gland can push against the bladder, urging frequent urination. If you're wide awake after a 2 am then bright bathroom lights make it harder to fall back asleep.
• You sleep more than 10 hours: Some people sleep for 4-5 hours in the day. One needs to sleep only 6-8 hours maximum. If you have slept earlier you might be wakeful that night. And may find difficulty in having deep sleep.
• Strong light in the Bedroom or next room may distract you from sleeping. The light and volume of the TV may also may give you trouble.
• Children and Pets make disturbances: Crying children is common problem most of the parents face. Let him cry it out a little. "Babies need to learn to go back to sleep on their own". Crying doesn't necessarily mean they're in pain. Leave baby for some time, they will automatically go to sleep naturally. Sometimes children may also cry if they are disturbed, unwell or have seen some scary dream. Some of the people have habit to sleep with dog, cat etc. these animal don’t need deep sleep rather they are light sleeper. Pets are also highly restless and may keep you awake at night.
• You had a heavy Dinner: Dinner should be a very light one. It is advisable not to sleep immediately after dinner. One may walk a little after dinner if possible. Indigestion also is a cause of restlessness.
• Midnight Parties at Neighborhood and Pet troubles: Music is playing on high on the neighborhood or the dog is howling outside making it difficult to sleep. Sometimes the quarrel of neighbors or the high volume of TV may also trouble you.
• Your Partner snores like a stock-car engine: Snoring occurs when people sleep on their backs. Here's why: Facial muscles relax, and the tongue slouches to the back of the throat, partially obstructing airflow.
• You are smoking cigarettes and consuming tea,coffee or alcahol as you ponder your sleeplessness. Smoking is harmful for deep sleep so, quit smoking. (First time you've heard that?) Not only is nicotine a stimulant, but smokers may also experience withdrawal at night, causing them to awaken or sleep fitfully. Consuming tea also keeps you awake for prolonged periods.
• Your partner or child has problems in sleeping: Generally high-school start times are out of teens' natural sleep rhythms. Student’s brain is programmed as per their future routine. So they have planning in their subconscious mind which is disturbing factor and some times as a result they talk while sleeping and keep disturbing us. Sometimes people talk in sleep which is highly disturbing in the nighttime.
• You eat some acidic medicines : Some Medicines can affect sleep patterns, and doctors don't always advise you of the risks. If you suffer from insomnia, grill your Doctor about your prescription's effects.