The Art of Belly Dancing
If you are looking for a different exercise routine perhaps you should take up belly dancing. You will be able to find classes in community centers and belly dancing studios in most cities. It is a non-impact form of exercise, has many physical benefits including improving the posture, toning arms, strengthening the back muscles and even improving digestion. The perfect exercise with the side benefit of having a ton of fun!
Belly dancing has more than physical benefits. It gives woman a chance to embrace the feminine and gain self-esteem. Many belly dancers experience a since of well being in mind and spirit. As well, it is an opportunity for women to except their bodies and discover a form of self-expression and joy through this ancient form of dance.
Styles of Belly Dancing
Egyptian Oriental style of belly dancing is done in the traditional style. Because of traditional religious restrictions, the dancers don't engage with the audience. This style of dance is very elegant and graceful.
Turkish Oriental style has more Roma, or gypsy roots and the dance is lively, gregarious and upbeat. The dancer uses lots of hand gestures and the music has a faster rhythm.
Improvisation gives the dancer more opportunity to express originality in the dance. Belly dancing expresses the feminine and celebrates the power of being a mature woman.
Whatever the style of dance, belly dancing is a great way to express feelings through movement and get a good cardiovascular workout at the same time.
Belly Dancing Books
This is a great kit to get your started in Belly Dancing and is a great resource as it is a combination of instruction from the tribal basics, zilling and advanced techniques.
Belly Dance DVDs
If you have ever wanted to try Belly Dancing this is the perfect DVD. The presentation works well as Lelia shows things from all sides when describing what to do, such as how much movement is needed.
Celebration and Healing
Belly dancing is a wonderful form of exercise that can be both a celebration of being woman and a healing experience. Many women who have taken up belly dancing after learning they have cancer have found the experience an opportunity for healing and a celebration of life. It can restore self-confidence and a place to celebrate ones return to good health. Many women have discovered by accepting their bodies and their limitation have found peace and self-expression.
Choosing a Class
- Check out local community centers or belly dancing studios in our area.
- Find a teacher tho is able to give your the kind of instructions you need regarding posture, balance and isolation.
- Choose a beginners class to start.
- Sign up for two classes a week so you'll be able to learn the moves and memorize them quicker. Buying a CD to practice at home is also a good idea.
- Wear comfortable dance or exercise clothing. As well you can dance in bare feet fee or in soft dance shoes.
Enjoy learning this wonderful middle eastern or African folk dance. Although its origins remain a mystery, belling dancing is a wonder way to strengthen abdominal muscles and have a long a lean body.
I know the video below has nothing to do with belly dancing, but I hope the dancing in this video gives you as much joy as it did for me!
Belly Dancing Links
- Jillina, Bellydance Superstar
- Kajira Djoumahna\'s Black Sheep Belly Dance
Welcome to the home of Black Sheep Belly Dance, Tribal Style dance troupe directed by Kajira Djoumahna -author of the Tribal Bible and co-director of Tribal Fest!
- Fat Chance Belly Dance - American Tribal Style
- American Tribal Style Belly Dance - Wikipedia
- Visionary Belly Dance | Discover the Art of Bellydancing | Seattle, WA USA
Belly dancing classes, costumes, performances and retreats based in Seattle, Washington.
- The Bellydance Superstars
The Bellydance Superstars - International dance and music troupe.
- Belly Dancing, Belly Dance Videos, DVDs, Bellydance
Learn belly dance from IAMED, the experts in belly dancing. IAMED is an international association of belly dancers, belly dance instructors, music teachers dedicated to promoting belly dancing through belly dance instructional videos.
- Belly dance classes in Canada
Find belly dance classes in Canada with a directory of belly dance classes and start belly dancing!
- Belly Dancing Toronto - Belly Dance Classes - Belly Dancers for Shows - Belly Dancing Workshops - Be
Hannan's Bellydance Studio: Dance classes and belly dance performers in Toronto, Ontario. We offer over 15 belly dance classes a week in addition to bellydance workshops and clothing.