- Women's Health
The Top Reasons Women Cry
By Joan Whetzel
It’s no secret that women find it easier to cry than men. It’s probably mostly a gender thing, but, it’s also at least in part asocial thing. Men are told not to cry or be labeled a sissy, a baby, a “girl” or numerous other ugly terms. So men don’t cry so much. For women, on the other hand, it’s not only socially acceptable to cry, it’s expected. So what are the reasons women cry?
Reasons for Crying – The Good
Women cry for happy events like:
- babies being born
- religious rites of passage being met
- social rites of passage like graduations
Reasons for Crying – The Bad
Women cry for not so happy reasons, and what some might consider bad things.
- They are tired.
- They’re watching a tear jerker film.
- They’ve lost a loved one.
- They’ve reached a point of indecision in a long term relationship.
- They’ve had an argument with someone important to them.
- Their hormones are fluctuating prior or during a menstrual cycle, because they’re suffering post partum depression, or because they’re going through menopause.
- They’re feeling a general sense of sadness or a case of depression.
- They’re feeling a sense of relief after a period of hardship.
Reasons for Crying – The Ugly
In this case, a rough set of life circumstances have set things off.
- They were dumped by a boyfriend or girlfriend, or they did the dumping.
- They’re going through a divorce or ugly custody battle.
- Other major events (fire, lost a job, major accident, serious injury, surgery, etc.) has left them in a state of anger, confusion, shock, stress, or disbelief.
- No other form of communication has helped them get their point across, and crying is all that they have left.
Women can cry for any number of reasons and they usually find that crying helps improve most of the bad and the ugly circumstances. Some circumstances – like watching a tear jerker – have become socially acceptable excuses for starting a crying jag when you need to cry and just can’t seem to get the tears flowing. Then there’s the happy tears, which aren’t really for soul cleansing purpose, but just flow as an emotional outlet in response to a touching situation.
Lady Emmy. Hub Pages. Why Women Cry?
Ford, Allison. Divine Caroline. Let it Out: The Reasons We Cry.