The Benefits of Eating Avocados
Amazing Health Benefits
- Avocado is high in oleic acid which has been known to prevent breast cancer.
- The high level of folates in avocado help prevent strokes.
- Avocados help provide defense against oral cancer.
- Avocados are high in beta-sitosterol a compound which has been shown to lower cholesterol.
- By eating avocado you can help prevent age related eye diseases and improve your overall eye health.
- Because of it's Vitamin B6 content avocado can help alleviate queasiness and morning sickness during pregnancy.
- Because of the monounsaturated fats contained in avocados it helps your stomach feel fuller faster helping you eat less and lose weight.
- Avocados are a high antioxident and can be used for treating skin disorders.
- The flesh of a ripe avocado can sooth a sunburn.
- Avocado is a good source of potassium which helps regulate blood pressure.
- Avocados help prevent prostate cancer.
- Avocados are a fruit not a vegetable.
- Avocados are native to Central and South America and have been cultivated for over 10,000 years.
- Avocados are safe for eating by babies.
- Avocados are sodium and cholesterol free and have only 5 grams of fat.
- Fallbrook, California is the Avocado capital of the world.
- Avocados help lower bad cholesterol.
- One tree can produce between 150 and 500 fruit per year.
- Avocados mixed with ice cream are a favorite dessert in Brazil.
- There are currently 80 different varieties of avocados.
- Avocados have the high protein content of any fruit.
- An avocado does not ripen until it has been picked.
- Avocados contain more potassium than bananas.
Pros and Cons of Eating Avocado
Like any other food these days, there are both pros and cons connected to eating avocados.
One of the surprising benefits is that avocados helps put a stop to that awful morning breath that many of us have when we wake up. It is said that if you eat avocado before bedtime it acts as a mouthwash to clean the bacteria that may be causing the odor.
To my delight I also found that it makes an easy and filling baby food. My grandbabies loved mashed avocado. Because of all the vitamins and minerals avocado is good for the young and the old.
Now for a couple of cons. The first one is that they are so high in fat. One avocado can use up half of your daily recommended fat intake. So, while they are so good in many ways you will need to limit the amount you eat each day.
Another con I need to mention is that it may cause extra stress on your liver especially if you are already having any problems. Avocado encourages collagen growth which is great for your skin but no so much for your liver. If the liver is unable to handle the extra collagen it lead to fibrosis.
So, I guess that old saying "Too much of a good thing can be bad" is absolutely true in this case. The real point is, that avocado is great for the body but in modedration.
Avocado Pasta Salad
- 1 lb tri-color pasta
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced in 1/8" diagonal slices
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 crooknecked yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup black olives, minced
- 1 white onion, minced
- 3/8 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Rinse and drain pasta and place in large bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for avocado and toss with vinaigrette.
- Just before serving add avocaado and blend well.
- To make vinaigrette place all ingredients in small bowl and mix.
- NOTE: While pasta is cooking prepare vegetables and vinaigrette.
Although avocados are typically eaten raw in a salad or as a side dish, they are also delicious grilled.
2 large fresh ripe avocados
2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup fresh salsa
Cut avocados in half and remove seed.
Drizzle with fresh lime or lemon juice and brush lightly with olive oil.
Place cut side down on grills for 2-3 minutes.
Salt to taste.
Fill grilled avocado with salsa.
Note: Do not over grill. Avocado is also delicious filled with chicken salad, macaroni salad, or crab salad.
This recipe serves 4.
- Avocado - Healthy Weight Loss
Learn how avocado can help with your weight loss efforts! Serving ideas, tips, information on different avocado varieties, and photos are included.
- 7 Avocado Recipes: Includes Salads, Salsas, Dressing...
Seven Avocado Recipes. From salads, to salsa, guacamole and more. Enjoy avocado a variety of ways with these 7 taste tempting and healthy avocado recipes. Includes, guacamole a la mexicana!
- Weight Loss Help: Top 10 Superfoods - #10 Avocados
At one time avocados were considered somewhat unhealthy due to their high levels of fat. Nowadays, avocados are widely considered as one of the healthiest fruits available and can be used to greatly improve your personal health...
- How do I start an avocado tree from the pit? Mine N...
Guacamole is a very tasty dish but you cannot make it without avocados; but you can grow your own avocados starting right in your kitchen or any room with a spot for a glass of water and some sunlight. Just think fresh avocados...
- Rev Up Your Fat Burning Weight Loss with Avocado
Trying to lose weight and feeling stuck? There is one food that will help rev up fat burning weight loss and it's incredibly nutritious too.
Will you try the Avocado Pasta Salad Recipe?
© 2012 Susan Hazelton