- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
The common cold and how to beat it!
Its that time of year!
The Common Cold has been a bother and worse for many Americans. We miss work and social gatherings because of it, and it just plain makes us feel lousy!
First let's dispel some myths about colds! There is no such thing as a flubug. You have a bug or the flu (Influenza) or something else. Next, a family member used to say, "dress up warm or you will catch cold". No will won't. If you have a cold, why doesn't it go away when you turn up the heat? Because a cold is an illness, not a state or a condition. You have to kill the germ to get better. I am not saying to go get and stay cold, but I am saying that the common cold is spread, not brought on by cold weather. Think about it, summer colds, can be the worst!
Remedies are only good if they work!
There are so many ways to treat it, but do any of them work?
Yes some do! Though vitamin C helps prevent colds, it takes an unreal amount to even phase one after you catch it.
I have found the following to be helpful.
Feeling better- Large amounts of cold juice, green tea, and water do help. Extra rest in bed, and wrapping up warm will help you feel better too. Non dairy protein is also a good idea. TIP: Stay away from ALL dairy products after you get sick! Milk products can double your body's production of mucus!
Killing the germ and getting back on your feet!- Step by step you can squash a cold.
Try these! They do work for me.
1. Echanaciae Golden Seal helps tremendously. Take it as soon as you notice the symptoms, for best results. NOTE- Talk to your Dr. first, and do not take more than is recommended!
2. Next, boil some water, and place 2 teaspoons of vicks vapor rub in it. Breathe it it and then let it simmer right before you go to bed. This should clear your head and chest so you can sleep.
3. Try some Tylenol Cold ( I prefer the blue). Read and follow the labels because there may be side effects!
4. Take Zinc in a form that works for you, as directed( I prefer Zicam).
Take care, wash your hands more often, and take your vitamins!
Please vote up and leave a comment!