- Fertility & Reproductive Systems
Things You Need to Know about Infertility and Its Treatment
Is Infertility a Common Problem?
The incidence of infertility has been rising in recent years, not just in India but across the world. According to a survey published in the International Business Times, 46% of the participants of the survey reported having infertility issues. The report also said that parallel research conducted among 100 infertility specialists in India revealed that almost 63% of infertile couples belonged to the prime reproductive age of 31-40 years. There has a been a 20% to 30% rise in infertility cases in India since 2011. The problem is associated with female-related issues 40% of the time and with male-related issues another 40% of the time, while 20% cases find infertility problems in both partners. Around 5% of the couples surveyed had turned to IVF to assist them in conceiving.
What is IVF?
In Vitro Fertilization or IVF is a process through which the manual fertilization of an egg and sperm is done in a laboratory, following which the fertilized embryo is transferred to the female partner’s uterus. According to AmericanPregnanacy.org, it is one of the main types of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART). ART includes all those fertility treatments wherein both sperms and eggs are handled outside the body. Other major ART procedures include Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT), Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT), Intrauterine Insemination (IUI), Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) and more, says the National Institutes of Health. ART is used to treat couples with infertility issues, such as decreased sperm count in males, ovulation disorder in females, individuals with genetic disorder, etc. The good news is that fertility clinics in India offer these procedures at a fraction of what they cost in the developed countries, with some of the best infertility treatment available in Hyderabad.
How is IVF Done?
Medi Connect India says that there various types of IVF treatments are available in India, such as Ovarian Hyperstimulation, Transvaginal Oocyte Retrieval, Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection, etc. There are various steps involved in this treatment process:
- The woman is injected with fertility medications to stimulate an increase in the number of eggs produced.
- The produced eggs are then retrieved through a minor surgical procedure.
- The male sperm sample is collected either from the male partner or a donor, which is then prepared for fertilization.
- The sperm and eggs are mixed together in a laboratory dish. In some cases, were the sperm has low motility, the sperm is directly injected into the egg.
- In three to five days, the embryos are transferred into the woman's uterus.
Factors Affecting the Success Rate
There are various factors affecting the success of IVF treatment.
- Age Factor – Age is an important factor in the success of an IVF procedure. According to a report in Attain Fertility, the success rate for women under 35 is 40%, whereas women over the age of 42 have a success rate of 4%.
- Lifestyle Choices – Smoking and drinking decrease the chances of success by a significant margin. Women who are to undergo an IVF procedure are required to stop smoking at least three months prior to treatment. Obesity can also decrease the chances of success. So, before planning a family, it is useful to first make better lifestyle choices and increase one’s fitness levels.
- Fertility Center – Be sure to conduct thorough research about the center you choose for undergoing the procedure determining their success rate and the training and experience of their staff.
Is Infertility Treatment a Costly Affair?
The cost of treatment will differ from clinic to clinic, as well as depending on the cause of infertility. However, if it is successful, the end results makes all the time, effort and cost completely worth every penny. Getting an IVF procedure or infertility treatment in India is a good idea, given that the reputed centres are world-class facilities, using on state-of-the-art technology and skilled and experienced professionals, say experts at Rainbow Hospitals. In addition, thinking of the costs, infertility treatment in Hyderabad is done at one tenth the price at which the same procedure is done in the US, with equivalent success. Age is another factor influencing the cost as the number of tries would increase with age. So, make sure to get the right procedure done at the right age and at the right place.