Top Twenty Health Benefits of Green Chilies
Green chilies: General Information
Green chili is known for its rich source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin A, iron, copper, potassium, a small amount of protein, and carbohydrates. It has water content and has no cholesterol.
Chili pepper is called by the name 'chilli' in the United Kingdom and 'chili' in The United States of America. Green chili exhibits amazing health benefits. Capsaicin is the chemical compound that makes chili pepper taste hot. People use it in raw, fried or in roasted form along the curries, salads, side dishes, and chutneys etc. There are many varieties of green chilies. When chili pepper is raw and not ripe, it is normally green. It turns red when mature. White, yellow, orange and purple chilies are also rarely found. The shape and size of the green chili differ from one variety to the other. Small size chilies normally tend to be hotter than the large sized ones. However, all these varieties have nutrients in them. Green chili has many small seeds inside that are arranged in a single row. Green chili plant looks like a small shrub with a strong stem. Leaves are alternately arranged or paired. Flowers hang down, either dull-white or sometimes tinged green. A plant bears many chilies at a time.
Green chili is a spicy vegetable that includes phytonutrients like carotene B, carotene-a, cryptoxanthin-B and Lutein-zeaxanthin etc. It helps to keep our mouth wet and spicy. There are many people habited to eat spicy food. There is nothing wrong in it. Spicy food does not harm anyway. You have to use more chilies for making spicy food. An interesting fact is, eating green chili tends to bring back the good mood.
During summer months, if you eat food spiced with green chili, it keeps the body cool. Sometimes you may get a burning sensation in the stomach due to the use of hot chilies. Maybe, during such times, you should reduce the quantity of chili in the food. Use green chilies than any other kind of chilies in your cooking to reap maximum health benefits. It provides you good health as well as better taste. Green chili has a unique flavor that is not observed in dried red chili. It also adds many nutrients to your body.
There are certain food preparations that need to be made using green chilies only. Green chili gives a nice color to the food. Curry or chutney made using green leafy vegetables are normally made using green chilies to complement the color and taste. I share below a few varieties of food made using green chili.
Spicy Foods Made Using Green Chilies:
Health Benefits of Green Chilies:
- Capsaicin in chili cools down the body during summer months by the sweating process.
- Biting green chili dissolves blood clots and aids in digestion.
- Helps in lowering the heart-related problems.
- Helps in burning the calories.
- Keeps in keeping the good mood.
- Is a good medicine for arthritis.
- Contains antioxidant beta-carotene that supports the cardiovascular system.
- Helps in maintaining good eye health and immune system.
- Helps in reducing cholesterol content in the body.
- Vitamin A in it helps in maintaining bones, teeth, and mucous membranes. Green chili is known to repair tissues and helps in producing new cells.
- Vitamin C in green chili helps in maintaining bones and cartilage; also helps in healing the wound.
- Helps to maintain glowing skin, keeps away from wrinkles.
- As an antioxidant, it strengthens overall health and boosts immunity; helps to fight against infections due to rich vitamin C. Due to heat production, blocked nostrils and nasal congestion gets relieved.
- Green chili has no calorie. You can consume any amount without the tension of gaining weight. In fact, it can help you in losing weight.
- Green chili helps in maintaining proper blood sugar level in the body. Thus, preventing from the risk of diabetes.
- Men generally have a risk of getting prostate cancer at the age of 45-50 years. Consuming green chilies regularly is believed to reduce this risk.
- Due to rich antioxidants, it protects the body against free radical damage; gives immunity to check cancer and also, slows down the aging process.
- Consuming green chilies regularly reduces the risk of cold, cough and even lung cancer.
Conclusion: Seeing all these amazing health benefits, we should make green chili a part of our food system.
Nutritional Information of Green chilies
|Serving size: 1 Chili pepper(45g)|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 4 g||1%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 3 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|