Ten Tips To Avoid Migraines
As you can see here, there is no evidence if migraines lead to depression or whether depression leads to headaches, but one certainty is that the two diseases are related and connected somehow.
The problem with migraine prevention is that there are more causes for the annoying headaches. There are very many triggers for migraines and trying to avoid them all would be some hard thing to do. Nobody wants to spend the rest of their life living in a cave just to avoid headaches.
There are some ways to avoid migraines.
1) Cut the caffeine. Consumed with care, it is a real good thing for the brain, but in excess caffeine is one of the most known causes for migraine. Taking in too much can lead to a headache of big proportions. Caffeine withdrawal must be made slowly; brutal withdrawal is as bad as consuming too much – brutal withdrawal will get you the same intense headaches.
2) NutraSweet is another migraine trigger. Aspartame has been the culprit for many people who have complained of migraines. The makers of NutraSweet never proven that their product doesn’t contribute to migraines. Avoid NutraSweet.
3) If you are a smoker, quit smoking. If you didn’t know by now, you can surely add migraines on the long list of smoking bad effects. You don’t smoke but work in an environment with a lot of smokers? Try to get the smokers away or remove them from your space. You have the right to bread good air.
4) Make your sleep following a well regulated pattern. A regular pattern of going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time, on weekends as well as weekdays will have a great benefic effect on your migraine. Many people who have instituted a rigid routine of sleeping and waking have discovered that their migraines disappear completely and forever or, at least, their migraines are much rare and manifests less intense.
5) If you use contraception pills, give up and try some alternative ways to prevent becoming pregnant. If you don’t want or can’t give up on contraception pills, try changing the pills brand. You may also want to try condoms.
6) Change your lighting. Natural-like, yellow light is better than neon light. Very bright lights can often trigger severe migraines. You might consider using the softer, filmy kind of light bulbs. If you spend a lot of time at the computer monitor, take frequent breaks (at least 10-15 minutes for every hour) and get as far away from the pulsating waves of the monitor as possible (if you have the possibility, look at some green grass field or trees – green will always help you rest your eyes and brain).
7) Cheese, chocolate and wine may sound like the ideal ingredients for a romantic picnic, but also they are the ingredients for a big migraine. Aged cheeses especially are dangerous because they contain the amino acid tyramine. Chocolate contains phenylethamine. Both chemicals contribute to migraines and alcohol is a trigger as well; alcohol also has a synergic effect on other migraine triggers.
8) Use body wash and high watered soaps to smell good instead of perfume or cologne. Industrial obtained odors and aromas are major causes of migraines. Keep yourself clean instead of daubing with the smelly-goods.
9) Exercise regularly; it helps you to increase your cardiovascular and respiratory capacity; improper blood flow into the brain is known to be linked to recurrent migraines.
10) Drive or take a train when you can instead of flying. The lowering of cabin pressure on airplanes is a sure-fire migraine trigger and one easily avoided when the trip can be made by alternative transportation ways.